When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to date a Hawthorne Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Buy it flowers and chocolates may be a good start. Sorry someone had say it.
Also as others have said don’t paint the bike after a lot of work and effort repainting the bike It will cut the value in half.

What has been said is true,It is old but not terribly valuable even if in better condition,If you have a body shop you could make it look beautiful but would lose some value.Girls bike do not get anywhere near the same model would in the mens version. I would leave it but not much harm in redoing it to your likings.
Thank you!

For what it's worth @capttammy2006 :
What @vincev said about the value of (most) ladie's bikes is absolutely true. However, I actually prefer the style of your ladie's Hawthorne over the men's version of this bike. Your bike is really, really cool, and a great representation (and one of my favorites) of the time period in which it was built. A time when they were still building them good. I know Vince has more than a couple ladies bikes in his collection, so do I, and I know there are many others as well. Hopefully with this bike, you'll catch the "old bike bug" and stay with us.

Last edited:
For what it's worth @capttammy2006 :
What @vincev said about the value of (most) ladie's bikes is absolutely true. However, I actually prefer the style of your ladie's Hawthorne over the men's version of this bike. Your bike is really, really cool, and a great representation (and one of my favorites) of the time period in which it was built. A time when they were still building them good. It's not always about the money with collectors. I know Vince has more than a couple ladies bikes in his collection, so do I, and I know there are many others as well. Hopefully with this bike, you'll catch the "old bike bug" and stay with us.
Thank you for the kind words. I totally agree with you when you say what I say is absolutely true. Anything else you say is usually debatable. I was going to see if you will be expanding your reflector line by adding reflectors to vintage pedals so they look new .

Also, the chart only references Hawthornes built by Cleveland Welding co/AMF. They also sourced bikes from Snyder, makers of Rollfast, and occasionally Huffman. Most dept. stores bought from wherever the best deal was.

Is there a way to tell the year of this bicycle? The serial number stamped on it is H35845 - AC. It says on the front, Hawthorne Montgomery Ward and also says Hawthorne on the chain guard. It appears to have all original parts, but I can't be 100% sure on that. Any information or insight on this bicycle would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1548778

View attachment 1548779

View attachment 1548780

View attachment 1548781

View attachment 1548782

View attachment 1548783
This old Hawthorne is an extremely COOOL bike as i recently picked up a Prewar Snyder built MW Hawthorne bike and would kill for the springer forks on this bike.. Clean it up and ride the wheels off of it.. Enjoy.. RideOn.. Razin..

Back