When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to disassemble the crank on a Crescent No.11 1898?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Roger K

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I've found a 1898 Crescent No.11 that seemingly hasn't been used the last 90+ years, but still looks OK enough to be back on the road with a little service and new tires.
Here comes an obstacle - I don't know how to take the crank apart without damage to the parts? No place to put a puller..

I guess someone here has done it before?

Crescent 1898_Page_06.jpg

20220523_232422.jpg

I wasn't paying attention yesterday when I looked at it - there are actually threads for a puller inside the pedal arm - does anybody know the thread, so I can make me a puller?

Interesting contraption.
Any pictures of the pin on the bottom bracket or the knurled lock-nut?

I had believed that the threaded BB cups were Fauber parts; but it looks like threaded cups without flanges may be Crescent parts.

Last edited:
Is the crank axle threaded? the arm may screw on or off with the slotted nut as the locknut. Just an idea- I haven't taken one apart myself.

Looking at fig. 3 there doesn't appear to be threads holding that non drive crank arm....maybe just a square shaft? Then looking at the fig. 4 the bearing race looks inboard of the bearing on the non drive side. Soooo....is there a chance that one could tap the axle through towards the drive side once the drive side bottom bracket ring is removed. Just riffin' ?
Kryn

I had the same problem when I made mine. It's very difficult to measure the internal threads and the diameter is odd. It's been years but I clearly remember chasing the threads in my lathe several time before i had a good fit and the used my first effort as a pattern to make a more refined copy.
I'm measuring .786 inch outside diameter of the threaded portion of my puller and 32 threads per inch.

20220530_105225.jpg

Back