When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get long bolt out of stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ArborlyMink

Look Ma, No Hands!
Idk if I’m doing something wrong but I can’t get this bolt out of the stem can anyone help?

061D01D5-D598-46DE-8EF2-0F8EA82E035C.jpeg

Loosen the bolt by turning it counter-clockwise several turns. Then take hammer with wooden block and give a reasonably firm strike to the top of the bolt using the block as a cushion for the hammer face. Be sure to steady and hold the stem when you strike the block.

Loosen the bolt by turning it counter-clockwise several turns. Then take hammer with wooden block and give a reasonably firm strike to the top of the bolt using the block as a cushion for the hammer face. Be sure to steady and hold the stem when you strike the block.
The problem is I can’t get the bolt the turn

Sounds like bolt siezed onto wedge. As last resort, may have to turn bolt until either it breaks free from wedge or the excess torsion twists the bolt until it fails. If the bolt inside is rust corrosion eaten away, the twisting will snap it fairly quick.

I'm a big fan of PB Blaster for these stuck bolt issues. turn the frame upside down like Gordon suggested, sometime you have to soak it more than once.

that is not a strong bolt. you should be able to break it with a socket and a breaker bar if it does not come loose.

-----

in order to have both hands free for whatever tool you will select it is best to lock the fork in a beefy bench vise with blocks of soft wood for cushioning/seating

if cycle fitted with mudguards and/or caliper brake remove these first so fork can be clamped at level of crown

having both hands free for the tool(s) is a big help

do not attempt to do this in a repair stand

-----

Last edited:
Soaking it from underneath is probably the best plan....I would try to avoid breaking the bolt off myself....Its nice that the stem is up a little but at least.......always worse when its all of the way down...That looks like a Schwinn and in my experience of working on bikes I have had the worst "stuck stem" experiences with them for some reason.....Good Luck...

Back