When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get that worn leather look on a new saddle

-

tommydale1950

I live for the CABE
I want to have my ladies Pierce saddle redone but dont want it to look 'brand new' how can this be achieved ? thanks

I have done it with cordovan and brown shoe polish. Rub both colors into the seat and then buff like crazy. Usually after the second application and buff you will have the desired result. I have also used tan and neutral for a lighter look.

i have used a combination of black/brown kiwi dye till i get the desired effect.

20210129_170821.jpg

20210203_171927.jpg

as mentioned by phantom.... other stuff works.....get a test piece of leather, figure out the look you want.

Going out on a limb here.... Ride it???

Depends on how worn you want it. The shoe polish route works. You can also use some rubbing alcohol in spots to "break the finish" of the new hide. A combo of old chain grease, oil, dirt, water and a wax like snow seal will all alter the color and sheen of new leather. Also, scuff the leather lightly with 120 to 400 grit sandpaper in places. This is what I have done on the past with good results. Key is to go slowly... If you can get a scrap of the leather used in the recover you can do some tests.

Another thing to consider is anyone talented enough to properly restore an old saddle should be able to patina the leather for you

Buy a used leather coat at a thrift store and use the leather from it. I did that on some chair cushions and they looked vintage.

Back