When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to ID my Elgin girl’s bike

-

Elcaminolady

On Training Wheels
Hi all! I have an Elgin girl’s bike from the 30’s-40’s. I bought it over 25 years ago when I was a senior in high school. It was a rusty mess so I painted it and used it as a rider in college. The skip tooth gears and chain have been replaced as it needed brakes to continue to make it rideable. I kept the original parts though. It’s currently hanging in my garage awaiting another “restoration” Obviously I have a gist of the era it was produced but is there a serial number and where is it on the bike? Will it tell what year and any other specifics?

708EF2E8-85A4-4825-83DE-7E1394DB1B4B.jpeg

Could be a 1938-SC (or abouts); the serial numbers should be stamped on the bottom bracket crank hanger (bottom center of bike).
Murray used alphabet numbers for the year of manufacture.

Now and then, tanks become available for that specific frame; (rear carrier racks too).
The skirt guards on the back also give the bike a classic look.

Welcome to the CABE!

Last edited:
Thanks everybody! @Archie Sturmer : the tank and other goodies.. you read my mind. That’s part of why I was wondering the specific year. When I got it, there where no “accessories” save the basket on the front. Scant amounts of paint seemed to indicate it was some light blue or sea foam color. (Obviously I favored red, bad idea after constantly being referred to Pee Wee Herman’s bike) I’ll have to look at the fenders to see if there’s evidence (holes) of a light or rack being on there once upon a time.

my younger self was just thrilled with the style of it with those Art Deco skirt guards, I didn’t scrutinize it too much, lol! Unlike my younger self it won’t be re painted with Pee Wee red rust oleum!!!

Back