When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to identify a Shelby, Huffman, CWC, etc?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Huffmans are light and graceful, while Shelbys look like they were hammered out of a block of Play-Doh by a 5 year old.

LOL. Come on now Scott, the kid that did this one had to have been at least 14. :D

GAWD I love this bike! Too bad they only made... err.. umm... <<<hands in pockets, hangs head.. kicks rock>>> ...one?

ShelbyDreamBike01_zpscdb491cc-1.jpg

One thing that always stands out for me as a Columbia identifier is that unique wrap around chainguard, can't miss it!

But that has nothing to do with identifying the frame only which is what this string is about. It also only covers a small percentage of Westfield made bikes (top end models). A large percentage had standard McCauley guards. Most notably ones similar the the model 1937 shown here.

McCauly.jpg

This does bring up a good point though. Things like chainguards can be an excellent way to help identify the bike. The deluxe ones anyway. Aside from the more common McCauley one pictured above Westfield only used about 7 styles of chaingaurd in the Classic Balloon Tire era 1933-1965.

LOL. Come on now Scott, the kid that did this one had to have been at least 14. :D

GAWD I love this bike! Too bad they only made... err.. umm... <<<hands in pockets, hangs head.. kicks rock>>> ...one?

ShelbyDreamBike01_zpscdb491cc-1.jpg

ok, look how huge those fender braces are, sure they curve but they look to be made out of old highway guardrail! and look how Ginormous the rear stays are, couldn't they have used something smaller than 3/8" water pipe? and why couldn't they get the math right so the seat stays met at the seat tube so the frame would be strong enough to ride? and that springer, it looks like the ones used on the Flying Merkles in the '20's! the rack looks like the cutting board out of an old Airstream trailer.
sadly, of the Shelbys, this is the best looking one.

now, Huffman on the other hand, I could type something, but once you see the bike you wouldn't be able to focus on reading anymore anyway, so why bother. Marty owned only Schwinns, and was one of the "Schwinns are the best!" crowd, until one day I talked him into riding my Huffman, now he owns 4 and is looking at two more!

P9010872_zpsc14a7d43-1.jpg

Back