When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Identify Date Year on Stingray Fork?

-

Rayray

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, noticed some of the forks have different numbers that indicate the Stingray year... and to my knowledge, the first number is the month, while the second is the year. How would one breakdown a stamp code that includes a '+'. I'm tossing a random number sequence, but 8+6, 1+6, 10 +1 and so on. Is there a guide that someone can point me and other members too, that we can use as a reference for the future. As always, any help is always appreciated.

I've never checked a 70's Schwinn, but on the 60's bikes the first digit or two were the month and the last digit was the last number of the year. These were stamped on the inside of the left leg above the axle slot. These numbers are the casting dates and don't always signify the year of the bike. A 12 + 2 would be Dec. 62 and that fork would most likely end up on a 1963 model. I've also see a - used instead of the +.

I've never checked a 70's Schwinn, but on the 60's bikes the first digit or two were the month and the last digit was the last number of the year. These were stamped on the inside of the left leg above the axle slot. These numbers are the casting dates and don't always signify the year of the bike. A 12 + 2 would be Dec. 62 and that fork would most likely end up on a 1963 model. I've also see a - used instead of the +.
interesting, the ones you seen using a - instead of a +, would still read the same? Is it safe to say that on the 60's bike forks, did the majority include a + or - . And on the 70's bike forks, they changed the casting dates?

Here's a look at a 70's fork, I'm assuming this one reads July 1970?

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 3.07.19 PM.png

Yes, the - between the numbers were on 60's bikes and it's read the same. I've never had a 70's bike to tear down and check for any fork numbers, to new for my collecting habit.

Yes, the - between the numbers were on 60's bikes and it's read the same. I've never had a 70's bike to tear down and check for any fork numbers, to new for my collecting habit.
Very interest and good to know

Last edited:
I think that is a 1977, I've seen that same 77 on later 70's spitfires, 3 of my 78 Spitfire 24's have that on the fork and on the chain guard by the rear bracket, also don't think they used the bigger axle slot till they used the larger axles.
1632034908416.png

Back