When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to identify pre-war parts? (newbie)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Durham27707

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey friends and cabers, new to the forum and bikes older than my folks. In cleaning up my 36' Elgin I realized the stem was toast.
I'm having trouble knowing where to look or search for a replacement. Somehow half the stems on Ebay seem to be the right age lol. Not looking for perfect but age correct.
Am I just terrible at searching the forum? Any resource suggestions to educate myself appreciated.

Best thing is use "search" upper right hand corner of this page and type in what your looking for. Just start looking at a lot of prewar Elgins and for sale parts to learn what is what. Really no other way then doing a lot of research, but you will find that is fun. Here's a "starter" search for you. I typed in Elgin stems for sale. https://thecabe.com/forum/search/1137731/?q=elgin+prewar+stem+for+sale&o=relevance

Is your stem bad due to damage and its inability to be safely utilized or aesthetics?

Both sides of the expansion part of the stem were sheared off inside the headtube. The biggest thing I'm seeing is that most stuff for sale seems to have a standard bolt unlike the front bolt on my stem.

20220824_092813.jpg

20220824_092827.jpg

20220824_092846.jpg

Back