When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to lace up spokes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

model-a

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have never done this lace up spokes is it hard to do time consuming is there certain ways to do this , I would like to learn how to do this thanks.

model-a,chris

This actually isn't that hard. Yea the first couple might take a while but after that they go pretty easy. After you lace you need to true the wheels. While a truing stand makes this a lot easier I've done them on the bike as well with satisfactory results. Beats paying a shop $40 a wheel! V/r Shawn

Ed Boros "the head badge man" would stop at the Schwinn plant here in Chicago back in the day and pick up rims and spokes for his wife Lois to lace while they would watch T.V. at night. Ed told me his wife could lace a wheel in 6 to 7 minutes. Each week he would drop off wheels at Schwinn and pick up some more for her.
Schwinn paid 25 cents per wheel. I talked to Ed this morning on the phone. He is 87 years old and spends his time today playing bingo and fishing at the lake near his house. Lois passed away about 13 years ago.

6 to 7 minutes is darn good. Takes me about 20 min. I guess that's pretty slow but I find it actually relaxing. I will do several wheels when winter comes in. I do them on top of my wife's dryer on a small sheet of masonite. Set the truing stand up right next to it in my vice on the workbench . It's fun!:)

h

I laced up my first wheel when I was 11. I think it made me cry.

Now I can do it with my eyes closed.

There's a lot of youtube videos available, and it helps to have a wheel next to you for reference. It's an invaluable skill to have, and beats paying and waiting for someone else to do it.

after hundreds of wheels, I still feel the satisfaction when I'm riding on the perfect wheel I laced myself.

I laced up my first wheel when I was 11. I think it made me cry...

Haha I know the feeling, I threw a tantrum the first time (whole day) I spent trying to do a set....I don't do them often enough to remember exactly, so I still usually d0 the first one wrong. :)

Darcie

Back