When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to preserve decals

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
The decals on this Varsity are flaking off. Is applying clearcoat my best option? If so, how do you apply it to get the best results?

a8b27ee7e38c2ff9f47e0892490aadcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was keeping the bike I'd remove those inferior decals and install new better quality repops. I have no idea why those decals were crap in that era.

Depends who you think your customer will be for flipping. If it's someone interested in restoration, don't touch the decals. If it's someone who wants to ride, scrape the decals off for a cleaner look. An old credit card and some turpentine is likely to do the job. Clearcoating probably wouldn't satisfy either type of customer.

It sucks because the decals on the top tube are pretty meh. The ones on the down tube are in much better condition. A clean look will help sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acetone is the best decal remover...IMHO, they are so far gone it would probably be better to remove the bad ones if selling.

Back