When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove a skip tooth chain?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
O

oldschool

I am wanting to remove the chain to be able to sand and paint the frame but not sure how to remove and replace the chain? I have found the "master link" but nothing i am use to seeing. Does anyone have experience with this? thanks for your input.

I realize this is a very old thread. I came across while searching for something else......

But here is a GREAT tool for this, if you can find it, or something similar.
They are on Ebay from time to time.
It is a "SA-VU Chain puller"
The one I have had for probably 30 years I bought for motorcycle chain, it is 'Made in England'.
I just got through using mine to remove and replace my skiptooth chain in order to adjust my BB. Worked perfectly.
The tool at the top left of the page....
https://www.google.com/search?q=sa-...hXFhFQKHa-OC20QsAQIGw&biw=2196&bih=1329&dpr=2

I am wanting to remove the chain to be able to sand and paint the frame but not sure how to remove and replace the chain? I have found the "master link" but nothing i am use to seeing. Does anyone have experience with this? thanks for your input.

**WARNING** if you have a pre-1912ish bike, it may have a "Block" style skip tooth chain. Two big differences over a roller chain:
1). pins may have "shoulders" so you cannot use a standard chain breaker
2). may or may NOT have a master link. These masters either had a screw and nut holding them together, or a screw that threaded into the back plate. :D

My 1899 has a screw and nut holding it together....I have been soaking it for weeks to try to get it apart. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it.

Back