When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove a vintage master link

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have an extra chain breaker that interrogates one link at a time, skip tooth or regular that I would sell reasonably so you could use the butter knife for...I don't know...spreading butter.
You would have to shoot the video again however.
Chris

I haven't tried it, but have heard that a solution of 1 part Molasses to 9 parts water works like Evaporust, but more slowly. I don't know what ingredient is responsible for that, possibly the glucose which is a reducing sugar. The color of the used solution might give a clue. Molasses ferments to citric acid, which is a metal chelator and would pull rust off of steel. That might explain why it's supposedly more effective when left to sit for a few days. (Probably smells bad if you keep it around too long.) Citric acid is cheap in the form of unflavored Kool-Aid. If spring ever gets here I plan to gather up some small pieces of rusty scrap metal and experiment with some cheap alternatives to Evaporust. I like non-toxic stuff that can be rinsed down the drain without fear of the pipes exploding. Evaporust is great but too expensive to fill a large tub for soaking big stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sulpher and phosphate. The mollases has phosphate in it, and mollases that doesn't say unsulphered works better. It takes weeks, though.

I have an extra chain breaker that interrogates one link at a time, skip tooth or regular that I would sell reasonably so you could use the butter knife for...I don't know...spreading butter.
You would have to shoot the video again however.
Chris
I'll take it! Pics please, and price.

Bicycle Chain Cleaner

I haven't tried it, but have heard that a solution of 1 part Molasses to 9 parts water works like Evaporust, but more slowly. I don't know what ingredient is responsible for that, possibly the glucose which is a reducing sugar. The color of the used solution might give a clue. Molasses ferments to citric acid, which is a metal chelator and would pull rust off of steel. That might explain why it's supposedly more effective when left to sit for a few days. (Probably smells bad if you keep it around too long.) Citric acid is cheap in the form of unflavored Kool-Aid. If spring ever gets here I
plan to gather up some small pieces of rusty scrap metal and experiment with some cheap alternatives to Evaporust. I like non-toxic stuff that can be rinsed down the drain without fear of the pipes exploding. Evaporust is great but too expensive to fill a large tub for soaking big stuff.

Bike chain kit:
zvcv2s-1.jpg

Comes with 2 bottles of cleanser, good for 4 applications.

r7oyh1-1.jpg
xduwqt-1.jpg

I will probably still remove the chain from the bike & do a thorough cleaning.
I see this more as a secondary way to maintain the chain clean.

33wvebspng-1.jpg

Last edited:
back on the chain gang

JP,
Here is the chain breaker I spoke of, works great with any chain and one pin at a time.
Not structured for 1/2 pitch standard as the modern chainbreakers.
The chuck is missing (handle), but it twists without or replace with a modern chuck, nail, etc...
Chris
DSCF5670.jpg
DSCF5672.jpg

JP,
Here is the chain breaker I spoke of, works great with any chain and one pin at a time.
Not structured for 1/2 pitch standard as the modern chainbreakers.
The chuck is missing (handle), but it twists without or replace with a modern chuck, nail, etc...
Chris
View attachment 135696View attachment 135697
Are the arms on it spring loaded, or do they lock in somehow? It will fit all the chain sizes which is awesome.

It is spring loaded...you squeeze the chuck and the straight pole together to open the jaws as they clamp at rest.
Best 10 dollars you will spend.
Chris

Bike chain kit:
zvcv2s-1.jpg

Comes with 2 bottles of cleanser, good for 4 applications.

r7oyh1-1.jpg
xduwqt-1.jpg

I will probably still remove the chain from the bike & do a thorough cleaning.
I see this more as a secondary way to maintain the chain clean.

33wvebspng-1.jpg

I have one of these! It's great for maintaining my daily riders. I haven't tried it on a really crusty chain. I go through three changes of liquid each time on chains that are cleaned about every 200 miles.

It is spring loaded...you squeeze the chuck and the straight pole together to open the jaws as they clamp at rest.
Best 10 dollars you will spend.
Chris
Absolutely! I'm going to buy it! I found a picture of the same style one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 90
OK, the YT video at the start of this thread doesn’t work.

How do I remove this master link?

IMG_0083.jpeg

Back