When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove handle bar grips?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dakind

'Lil Knee Scuffer
How is the best way to remove old handle bar grips without destroying them? I'm kinda new to bike restoration and any help would be great. Also this site rips! I've learned alot.

I heard compress air shot through a small hole works.
I used a 7/8 wrench and a rubber mallet, I scuffed up the inside edge of the grips a bit.

I fill a small bucket full of very hot tap water, soak the bar-end/grip for a couple of minutes, then wrap the grip in a towel and work it off.

Phil

Slide a spoke down between the grips and the handlebar, squirt in some water, and twist off with the spoke still in place. Another squirt of water might help.

Adjust bars so the ends are pointing towards the ground.
Carefully insert a long thin screwdriver or ice pick between handle bar and grip.
Squirt a little Windex or soapy water in the opening you made there.
Twist the grip to release it's hold and gently twist and pull it off.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Restoring a 77 schwinn 20" hollywood for my daughter and didn't want to loose the grips. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I stick a very small flat screwdriver under the edge and squirt WD40 under it. Then remove the screwdriver and twist gently at that end.

removing grips

take a cresent wrench and ajust it so it will just slide on bars with out digging put it on bars against grip and push it bows middle of grip out making it quit easy
if grips have splits or cracks and you are trying to save them, rest them in a bowl of vegetable oil for a few days will make rubber more pliable

wow lots of ideas but some of you guys scare me!:eek:
I used to work in a bike shop years ago and if you have it compressed air works very well. you don't need anything special just point the tip of your nozzle at the edge of the grip where it touches the bar and squeeze the trigger. lightly hold the grip so it doesn't go flying across the room. I haven't found a grip this hasn't worked on yet. sometimes you have to blast it around the edge to get it to break loose all the way around but it will go eventually. lots of the other methods involve the likelyhood of damage to the bars or the grip. the other one which sounds like it holds promise is the hot water one, this should soften the grip a bit and may help in getting it off.
Scott:cool:

Back