When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove JC Higgins head badge

-

climbamnt

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi all,

I am trying to remove the head badge from a JC Higgins Colorflow and I want to do as little damage as possible. The badge is riveted on. Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks much!

hedbadgeToRemove.jpg

I see two rivets on the front of the badge. If those are the only two fasteners, you need to drill those out. The tricky part is keeping the drill centered on the rivet. Start with a center punch and a bit that is smaller than you'll eventually need. Go slow and keep it centered. Use progressively larger bits until things come apart. Have fun!

Don’t drill anything! Remove the fork. Now take a big azz screwdriver or pry bar and work from the inside to push the rivets out. Once you get it part way out you should be able to take a needle nose pliers and twist it the rest of the way out. You should be able to reuse the rivets.

Don’t drill anything! Remove the fork. Now take a big azz screwdriver or pry bar and work from the inside to push the rivets out. Once you get it part way out you should be able to take a needle nose pliers and twist it the rest of the way out. You should be able to reuse the rivets.
This, all the way.

Does anyone ever read the restoration thread???? Remove the fork. Take your big ass screwdriver, or better yet your 3/8" ratchet extension bar and bump the heavy female butt end against the tiny protruding rivet ends, knocking them out a bit. Cover the badge with masking tape, so you don't scratch the finish. Take your best pair of pliers [Electricians blunt nose type work best] and firmly grasp the rivet and twist out counter clockwise. Before working on your old bike, read the restoration threads in their entirety.

Does anyone ever read the restoration thread???? Remove the fork. Take your big ass screwdriver, or better yet your 3/8" ratchet extension bar and bump the heavy female butt end against the tiny protruding rivet ends, knocking them out a bit. Cover the badge with masking tape, so you don't scratch the finish. Take your best pair of pliers [Electricians blunt nose type work best] and firmly grasp the rivet and twist out counter clockwise. Before working on your old bike, read the restoration threads in their entirety.
Somebody in a bad mood.lol

I actually use a loose kickstand. The angles seem to be just right. I put one end on the rivet inside the steering tube and push it out. Then like everyone said, grab with pliers/mask etc... and remove the badge. I’ve removed many without scratching anything. Really any lever will work.

Back