When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to replace an old chain?

-
A

andrea2525

Tonight I pulled the chain off my '55 hornet. We tried to clean it with some Brasso cleaner, but this chain is incredibly dirty and is very rusty. Some parts are deteriorating because of the rust. My husband worked on it for awhile, but he thinks we should just buy a new chain since the old one isn't getting any better.

I don't really understand how chain sizing works. What type of chain should I be looking for? I understand I can always remove links, so will any type of chain work for my bike work as long as I adjust the length later? It seems like chains are also measured by the diameter of the opening in each link, but I have no idea how to get an accurate measurement of that with all the rust and dirt in my chain.

Please let me know where I can buy a replacement chain at a decent price and what type of chain you think I should look for. Thanks.

You want to get a chain that's 1/2" x 1/8" which is for single speed hubs. That means there's a half inch between chain links and the links themselves are 1/8" wide. Or if you just explain to your local bike shop what kind of bike you have, they should get it right. I get chains for 10$ from my bike shop so it's worth it to get an old girl on the road :D enjoy

Key tip, don't buy the chain at wall mart. I tried because I was there anyway and it says it's universal length but seems like it would only fit a BMX bike because it wasn't long enough to fit my Columbia!

I have these plastic tubs that used to hold 6 pounds of animal crackers that I have my unused chains soaking in mineral spirits until needed.
Using gloves and outdoors (but where the neighbors cannot see the craziness), just use a wire brush on cardboard and it will look better and can be reused.
Try salvaging first before you get another chain and worry about sizing, pitch, and all.

Bring the old chain to a real bike shop.They will give you the proper length with the link to connect the ends

Back