When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Schwinn Lightweight Fenders, Part #'s, Rivets, Tools

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

momo608

I live for the CABE
Suspended
Getting some questions on Hanson rivet tools from the Work shop forum and been thinking about doing this anyway, so here goes. Since all I work on pretty much are Schwinn lightweights I can speak with some confidence on those although I'm sure this will apply to many other kinds of bikes.

Please add your tricks and tools with some good photos. I'm lacking on complete part number catalog scans so I need those also to fill in the blanks.

I was going to reluctantly spend the money and buy one of those big C clamp setters but the dude doesn't even reply to emails. For the cost of the C clamp you can buy these tools, the fenders, braces and the rivets for about the same cost. I didn't want to spend the cash anyway so a favor in disguise thank you very much.

HT-178
hand rivet Clincher for 5/32 dia tubular rivets
$25

SQ-4-21
CA2004-21 1 Long squeezer die for rivet with 5/16 dia oval or truss head
$16

rivets DF-11-6-ST
100 = 8.00

Phone Hanson rivet
818-485-0500

Not finding much at all on the internet about this and I know I was hungry for some enlightenment so I figure this is good stuff. About removing old rivets. I don't like drilling out old rivets on fenders because they tend to spin and I end up grinding them out anyway so I just grind them. No chance of enlarges holes or ruined finishes cause by spinning rivets this way. Someone said a mouse pad works good at holding spinning rivets but I have my doubts on the really loose ones. I haven't tried it so what do I know. If you only have a drill there's not much choice anyway.

Clinch allowance F for 5/32" rivets is .094

C2-Tubular-w750.jpg

schwinn rivets 001.JPG

schwinn rivets 002.JPG

schwinn rivets 003.JPG

79 parts5205b-fender chart resized-1.jpg

79parts5280b fenders 2.jpg

Last edited:
Lets get to work

The NOS fender braces come with a kink where it fits into the fender, put it on like that and you have a loose brace no matter how tight the rivet is.

not good
schwinn rivets 004.JPG

This will result in a loose fender
schwinn rivets 035.JPG

schwinn rivets 005.JPG

1 3/8" tubing for lightweight fenders pressing the kink out of the brace in the vice. Notice the tape for protection.
schwinn rivets 006.JPG

much better
schwinn rivets 033.JPG

schwinn rivets 015.JPG

I should get a manicure before I do these.

The tape holds the rivet in and provides some protection to the rivet head. We like them nice and shiny. I notice you've got to do little filing of the fender to get the rivet to fully insert.
schwinn rivets 012.JPG

schwinn rivets 032.JPG

schwinn rivets 017.JPG

BTW, rivet the tabs on before the braces, easier that way.
schwinn rivets 018.JPG

Last edited:
Success! Thanks momo68. Finally got around to trying this. Two bikes that waited a long time for fender rivets are now complete. This works perfectly.

View attachment 361255
View attachment 361256
View attachment 361257
View attachment 361258
View attachment 361259
View attachment 361260
View attachment 361261
grind the lips of the rolled rivet thin and tap them out with a punch
View attachment 361264
Needed the brace and tab on this NOS painted fender so nice to have saved it in the best possible condition, both brace and fender. No spinning rivets here.
View attachment 361266
You doing some righteous work there...

Getting some questions on Hanson rivet tools from the Work shop forum and been thinking about doing this anyway, so here goes. Since all I work on pretty much are Schwinn lightweights I can speak with some confidence on those although I'm sure this will apply to many other kinds of bikes.

Please add your tricks and tools with some good photos. I'm lacking on complete part number catalog scans so I need those also to fill in the blanks.

I was going to reluctantly spend the money and buy one of those big C clamp setters but the dude doesn't even reply to emails. For the cost of the C clamp you can buy these tools, the fenders, braces and the rivets for about the same cost. I didn't want to spend the cash anyway so a favor in disguise thank you very much.

HT-178
hand rivet Clincher for 5/32 dia tubular rivets
$25

SQ-4-21
CA2004-21 1 Long squeezer die for rivet with 5/16 dia oval or truss head
$16

rivets DF-11-6-ST
100 = 8.00

Phone Hanson rivet
818-485-0500

Not finding much at all on the internet about this and I know I was hungry for some enlightenment so I figure this is good stuff. About removing old rivets. I don't like drilling out old rivets on fenders because they tend to spin and I end up grinding them out anyway so I just grind them. No chance of enlarges holes or ruined finishes cause by spinning rivets this way. Someone said a mouse pad works good at holding spinning rivets but I have my doubts on the really loose ones. I haven't tried it so what do I know. If you only have a drill there's not much choice anyway.

Clinch allowance F for 5/32" rivets is .094

View attachment 621232

View attachment 361233

View attachment 361238
View attachment 361239
View attachment 361269
View attachment 361270

Is there a Schwinn parts list like that for ‘50s middleweights?

Back