When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Schwinn Lightweight Show Quality Paint Job Start To Finish

-
Important question for me...the paint I want for Beryl costs about $29 a pint. How much paint can I expect to use on my frame, fork and fenders to come up with a realistic paint budget?

I am curious to know what your estimate is for cost of supplies only (primer, paint, catalyst, sand paper, etc) to paint 1 bike and not including spray equipment or other tools.

I am curious to know what your estimate is for cost of supplies only (primer, paint, catalyst, sand paper, etc) to paint 1 bike and not including spray equipment or other tools.

About $250 add another $100 if you want to go the optional sealer route. It would cost about zero more $ to do a second bike, about a hundred more if you wanted the second bike a different color. Trouble with the paint material as shown is they come in far greater quantities than required for one bike.

Important question for me...the paint I want for Beryl costs about $29 a pint. How much paint can I expect to use on my frame, fork and fenders to come up with a realistic paint budget?

One pint should be plenty unless you are using a paint hog spray gun. Try and match the primer color as close as possible to the final color coat, far less waste to get full hiding coverage. Try and save a little for the inevitable thin spot. I always buy more paint than I need just in case, nothing worse than running short in the middle of the job. $29 I assume is for an oil based paint of some sort, return the extra can if you don't need it. That's dirt cheap by automotive paint standards.

It's an acrylic enamel as I understand it. Since I tried to paint it with a can already, I'm going to be sanding, but it was paint and primer in one and that covered a rust converter/inhibitor.

Yes, it's going to be a chore.

About $250 add another $100 if you want to go the optional sealer route. It would cost about zero more $ to do a second bike, about a hundred more if you wanted the second bike a different color. Trouble with the paint material as shown is they come in far greater quantities than required for one bike.

That's what I was afraid of, the cost. Used to work in a body shop and I know the cost of paint, etc. has skyrocketed beyond belief.

The last vehicle I painted was an MG A and the total cost for paint (acrylic enamel), reducer, and primer/sealer and reducer was about $100. Imagine paying $12 for a gallon of medium dry reducer. Obviously that was many, many years ago. Today it's not uncommon for paint to cost thousands of dollars before you add clear coats, catalysts, etc.

Last year I did a bike using automotive paint in a spray bomb. I should have clear coated but was anxious to get it assembled and ride. Result was ok but certainly no award winner. I have 1700 miles on the bike that's seen many rain rides and it's holding up albeit with a tiny bit of fade.

I would imagine your work would hold up indefinitely with little change and look as good as it did when first painted.

If you spread the material cost over a couple of bikes it's not that bad but these bikes aren't worth much in the first place so that's a drag. I just like mint stuff. I look at it this way, one I can afford it, two in the great scheme of things it's not that much money and I enjoy doing it, at least I have something to show for the money unlike so many other things in life.

I started in the lacquer days of auto painting, modern materials are insanely expensive. I can tell you new modern materials are so much better than they used to be that it is worth it. A properly done paint job on a collector car if cared for i.e. washed and waxed, should last the rest of your life.

Here's my paint bill from yesterday. This is only for the final paint, add about the same for everything underneath it. This is for a small car, add at least $1000 for a caddy.

Scan shcwinn show paint.jpg

jaguar xk june 2017 002.JPG

Last edited:
Back