When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tighten this seat post?

-
This is on a Power King 3 speed. Made in Japan. Not sure which manufacturer, but from what my research has found, Power King was a house brand for the EJ Korvettes department store. I bought it mainly because it has the Shimano 333 stick shift on the top bar.

The seatpost something like this:
20220208_132145.jpg

What kind of bike is this?
I've seen American Evans bikes with this style. And later asian Schwinn aluminum frame with this kind, Quill, but different binding action.
Now..... ?

I have a 1962 AMF built Hiawatha that uses the same setup. I figured it was relatively common.

You might have to remove the seat , typically like an old standard style gooseneck (handlebar stem) A tap with a hammer is required once you loosen the wedge bolt, not always but most of the time . - If you want to remove or adjust it

I know to most of you , this is a stupid question, but I picked up this Power King 3 speed (Made in Japan) and it was missing the seat post tube bolt, so I thought all I had to do is insert a bolt and tighten it up. As you can see in the pictures, there is no slot in the seat post tube to collapse with the bolt tightened. How do you tighten this seat post in the seat post tube? Thank you

View attachment 1803805

View attachment 1803806

View attachment 1803807

View attachment 1803808
No such thing as a stupid question - someone said that to me once 🙂

OK, the question of how to tighten/loosen the seat post is answered, but what about the question of 'why in the heck is there a set of bolt bosses on the seat lug that can never be loosened or tightened?' Better rearward weight distribution? Heavy attachment point for a center pull cable stop or a high-mount rack? Or an evolutionary anomaly, like the not-that-uncommon supernumerary nipple(s) sometimes found lower on the human torso? IMWTK.

Last edited:
You pretty much have your questions answered here but just a few afterthoughts; you may want to make the final tightening of the seat clamp higher on the post than in the rear view photo. There is evidence of the seat material bottoming out on the bolt head once it is compressed when sat upon. This will create an eventual wear spot on the seat fabric and may be uncomfortable on your butt.

Also, it is possible that a conventional split seat binder frame was once used on prior productions but for some reason they opted for a quill post here. Of course all of the hanger/mounting suggestions remain very valid ideas.

You pretty much have your questions answered here but just a few afterthoughts; you may want to make the final tightening of the seat clamp higher on the post than in the rear view photo. There is evidence of the seat material bottoming out on the bolt head once it is compressed when sat upon. This will create an eventual wear spot on the seat fabric and may be uncomfortable on your butt.

Also, it is possible that a conventional split seat binder frame was once used on prior productions but for some reason they opted for a quill post here. Of course all of the hanger/mounting suggestions remain very valid ideas.
Good suggestion. Thank you.

Back