When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How?

-
From the chain drive picture, it looks like the left hand crank is a press fit on the crank axle and the lockring and adjuster are for the bearings, but I'd still "ask the man who owns one".

If it's press fit how about trying a battery cable puller ---cheep tool at the auto parts---sam

Well, I tried using a punch, but got nowhere with that.
fbb541d9-1.jpg

It would be great if I could get a puller on there, but that would appear to be impossible.

there is patent date on the bottom bracket. can you search the patent data base for the drawings?
have some patience, you'll figure it out, don't do any heavy hitting yet. those pieces are the only ones you have and i'm thinking hens teeth to find.

there is patent date on the bottom bracket. can you search the patent data base for the drawings?
have some patience, you'll figure it out, don't do any heavy hitting yet. those pieces are the only ones you have and i'm thinking hens teeth to find.

I've got all the info on how it comes apart, but it just won't.
I wouldn't worry about it if I wasn't trying to paint it.

Try loosening the lockring and bottom bracket bearing adjusters- these MAY lever the crankarm out enough to get a puller underneath, or make your own puller jaws from thin scrap and bolts. Steering wheel pullers usually have a lot of options and are easy to modify.

I hope this helps

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I went and pulled mine apart........so to show you what I was talking about with the center punch and all.

This sprocket is from my (chain driven) 1900 Crescent model 31.

I would think is the same basic idea. As you can see from the pictures, you'll never be able to get a puller in there....... it's locked on the under side. In your case you may need to hold the crank arm in a vise while the frame is suspended in the air, then try punching it out, just make sure you are using some type of penetrating oil, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5902 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_5902 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5903 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_5903 (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5904 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_5904 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5905 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_5905 (Medium).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
"A judicious application of heat" from a blowtorch could help free things up. You really can't get better information than what okozzy gave you!

Back