When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hub disassembly...?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Normally you wouldn't take the freewheel apart like that. I agree. Take it in. You need the right tool and it is going to be real tough with the slots all rounded out like that. Threads should be normal right hand threads like any other freewheel, if they were reverse then pedaling would unscrew it.

Yeah, the correct tool should have spun that off as an assembled unit. Even when the proper tool is used, it is wise to secure it loosely in place using a bolt passed through the axle hole. That prevents the tool from slipping and ruining the notches...like yours are. They are pretty chowdered.

Actually...I didn't know I had boogered up those slots that badly, until I saw the pics I've posted. Shame on me. An overanxious rookie. Hopefully, my local bike shop can get me out of this. I'll report back.

So my update is NOT what I expected. I went to the bike shop. The 20-something bike mechanic spent some minutes searching for a tool that MIGHT fit those freewheel slots, plus a few minutes inspecting the hub. Then he asked..."Why do you want to take it apart?" I said, "To respoke it." And he said..."You don't have to. See how the hub flanges are slotted, so you can just slip the spokes in?" I said, "Oh yeah..." Being stupid has always come naturally, to me. But it's never been easy.

Back