When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hub disassembly...?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is a hub off an old Japanese bike - I want to take it apart so I can clean the rim/respoke. I can't get either side loose. It's been soaked for days in penetrating oil, heated...and sworn at. There's no rust apparent. Just 60-70 years of being together. The brake drum appears to be a right-hand thread. I would've thought it should be left-handed, given it's on the left side. But the threads say different. No idea on the cog side - but I would guess right-hand thread. I have a tool that'll span and insert two shafts into the drum's opposing holes so I can crank it. No tool for the cog side - I'm using a small punch and hammer, trying to knock it loose. No luck on anything so far. Anyone else run into something like this?

If it is like most freewheels, you need a remover tool that fits in the two slots closest to the inside, then it should unthread going counter clockwise. I believe the hub is threaded similarly on both sides.

Can't these "freewheels" be placed in a vice, and then rotate the rim counter-clockwise, like taking off a standard New departure cog? Never took one of these modern wheels apart.

I doubt it. Freewheel threads are generally arranged so pedaling tightens. If you put it in the vise and turned in the loosening direction, I think it would just freewheel.

you'll need a tool like this, it fits into the slots nearer the axle, not the round holes.
from my experience it's best to:
put the axle back in
install the tool
spin the axle nut onto the axle to snug the tool up
then put in vise and remove the freewheel.

y1200904t.jpg

Looks to be a healthy tool - and I can put breaker bar on it. Any chance someone knows this tool's name. I'll do a search for "freewheel tool" for starters. Thanks, everyone!

this vid shows it used with a wrench and vise
i like the vise, it's tidier, the wheel is used as leverage to remove, and reinstallation while in the vise decreases the chance of cross-threading

An update. I got the outer ring - a locking flange, I'll call it - off. It unscrews CW. I removed the cog, and about 40 of the smallest ball bearings I've ever seen. I need to get the innermost piece off, w/o destroying it. Replacements are not available. A freewheel tool would fit those two slots...don't have one. The ones I've seen online, give no particular dimensions. But I could order one that looks close and modify it to fit, hopefully. My local high-end bike shop is closed today - I'm thinking of enlisting their help. Until then, I'll try a few more taps with a big screwdriver and a heavy hammer on those slots (CW? CCW?) - but I don't want to wreck anything. The last pic shows the opposite (left) side. That's the brake drum. Laying alongside it, is an old motorcycle header nut tool that'll fit into the opposing holes. You can tell I've been trying - I'm beginning to destroy the holes. I THINK it loosens CCW. I'm hoping that if I can remove one side of this hub, I can slip the whole thing out and access the spokes. Any thoughts? I really appreciate the advice already offered.

Back