When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hub Hole Size .105 & .120 Spokes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Henryford2

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me what the correct hole size would be for a "straight" (not butted) .105" and a .120" spoke for the hub? Thanks

these should help, yet there might be some additional clearance space for "play" plus some tapper in the hub hole to accommodate the bend in the spoke end

drill size chart.PNG

Attachments

• drillsizedecimalequivalent&tapdrillchart.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 19
Thanks, the hole in the hub has to be larger than the diameter of the spoke in order to lace the hub and get around the bend in the spoke. My question is how much "larger" does the hole have to be for a .105 and .120 spoke and "safely" be used. I know this is an approximate, but I'm trying to avoid the "hit and miss" technique.

I recall my Bendix coaster brakes were marked 36-13 for the 36 each 13 gage holes for 14 gage spokes.
maybe there is a 1-gage larger (smaller gage #) rule of thumb?

Thanks, the hole in the hub has to be larger than the diameter of the spoke in order to lace the hub and get around the bend in the spoke. My question is how much "larger" does the hole have to be for a .105 and .120 spoke and "safely" be used. I know this is an approximate, but I'm trying to avoid the "hit and miss" technique.

I’ve built up a lot of vintage hubs from the ‘30’s thru ‘50’s with 12ga stainless steel spokes ( aka .105)
And all I’ve done to enlarge the holes in the hub flange is put a micrometer on the spokes I’m using and put a micrometer on the drill bit I’m using, to make sure they are identical size .... or at least the drill bit is .0025” ( 2 fine frog hairs) larger.
I’ve never had the J-Bend of the spoke require a larger hole than the spoke itself .....
If you lace the spokes thru the hub and feel they are resisting going straight to the rim ...... you might need to redrill with a very slightly larger drill bit. BUT ... I’ve never run into that problem yet.
Happy wheel-building! CCR Dave

Back