When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hubba-Hubba

-

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
In the Workshop section there is a discussion about coaster-brake repair. @Autocycleplane made comment about the benefits, or lack of to a certain style hub. He's got me thinking that the subtleties of each brand must add up to the "Bestallaround" coaster-brake. Any thoughts out there? Bendix vs. Morrow vs. New Departure?
I recently dug into a Perry hub. Pretty interesting how it works. It has 5 rollers that use ramps to expand outward. I can't say that it's better or worse, not having much experience using it.
I'm sure they are a lot of you out there that have put a ton of miles on many a coaster. What's the best one?

I have 1 Musselman that I love and have put many miles on. My Elgin Tiki Cruiser
When I tore it apart I noticed someone before me carved some groovy squiggles in it for better friction.
It works really well.
I have built a bunch of New Departure and think they have the most NOS parts available for them; and they lock up the rear wheel like no other. My 1936 Electric and 1935 Flying Cloud
I have several Morrow rear hubs because they're my favorite. 1940 Western Flyer, 1937 Syracuse, 1936 Packard, and 1935 Velvet.
They coast better and the brake slows me down without locking up the hub.
Most people don't like the slower braking; but I don't use them much anyway.;)
Just another opinion tho.
IMG_2096.jpg

Morrow for me all the way for my riders. Easy to work on, super bomber construction, and a huge brake that handles heat from long descents well. The only downside for me is that they often are very worn internally, and can require a bunch of repair parts to make them work right again.

New Departure just doesn't have consistent performance on big hills - too touchy when hot. But they roll smooth and work well for the flats, just a bit of a hassle on the maintenance imo.

Musselman wins my easy service award, but that's a pretty tiny brake and I've been left underwhelmed by the stopping power.

That's my worthless $.02 about coaster brakes.

Back