When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

huffman colors/ combinations

-

supper15fiets

Wore out three sets of tires already!
...okay...i've got this issue with huffman color combination's , well issue is a big word but difficult to choose, i like the iridescent blue with red, but almost every twin flex has that color combination i must say that is a very cool combination, now of course there are differance between the firestone/huffman bicycles and the national /huffman bicycles, i am building the national huffman... so in the 1937 catalog there are cool color combination but what do i choose, i want to have it different, so i was looking at the only picture of the streamliner in that catalog and it is "NATIONAL BLUE" with black , but that blue is different then the other blue's that in the catalog, also the yellow background is different so that is a printing issue, but also my only refference for that color.
So pictures and scanned folders are no good refferences to go from there, pictures of originele bikes are also difficult because there is still a difference between originele and picture of the originele, so do i want to go that far to find out the right color...hell yeah!
okay here is a scan of the originele National catalog...
that is what i am thinking, national blue with black
1937NationalDaytonCatalogpg3-1.jpg

here is a picture of Jerry Berg originele iridescent blue/red ,
that is a way cool color combination and if my research failed, hee hee then i choose this color combination.
1937DaytonSSberg5-1.jpg

...but what is National blue looking like ? is it a solid color or where the body colors of huffman all metalic ? when i look at jerry peters his originele huffman airflyte, i was thinking that that is the national color, only the pictures are very bad and you see that the color is from each point different.
HuffmanCH1-1.jpg

JPDayton8-1.jpg

part 2

JPDayton9-1.jpg

HuffmanCH2-1.jpg

so what is the mistery of national blue, here two girls bikes from huffman, there later models but could this be national blue...?
FDBDOWN-1.jpg

3nc3oc3l0ZZZZZZZZZ927fc691abfe3491f-1.jpg

i've talk also to an other huffman freak Patric cafaro, he told me that Huffman bought left over car paint back then to lower the frabrication costs, very clever i think so maby i am looking to a needle in a haystack, i don't know what the color combinations where afther 1937 from national....

part 3

any way you see that the airflyte is much darker then the jerry berg dayton...
maby national blue is close by this ....
lacarconcours1937talbot_lagoim-1.jpg

i think that would be a nice color combination with black and yellow pinstripes or with off white and red pinstripes...
but maby national a much brigher color like this...
1936_Dodge_4_door_Sedan-1.jpg

and then whe have the 1936 dayton from jerry berg that was restored by Dave stromberger, he told me that he found the originele color under the house paint, if you look at the solid blue in between the pinstripes...could that be national blue ?
1937HuffmanStreamlinerJBFinished01s-1.jpg

...so it is difficult because there is i think no steady color of national blue,
then again i like the seafoam green, dayton used that also but then in 1936, but if you imagen that seafoam with black scallops and cream pinstripes...
ss16-1.jpg

part 4

...and if you look at the recent find of scott mc caskey....well where was this color combination cataloged?
Thefind01-1.jpg

...talked about Patric about this, he sad that huffman sad that any colorcombination was possible, and why not? if you choose a bike back then and say is this colorcombination possible...i think they sad that that was no problem at that time...the customer is the king...and ofcourse huffman was no massproduction like Schwinn ( sorry guys...) ...so for now i have to know what national blue has looked like maby you guys can help me out....:confused:

National Blue

This may be what youre looking for, its a 1941 Huffman National. The bike is light blue and dark blue. This is the only picture I have right now. I took this pic for a friend who wanted a close up of the sticker. So since its a National, and its blue, I figure its National blue? I can take some more pics if you want, I need to do that anyway since I dont have any of this bike. Plus this was taken inside, I think its actually a little lighter if the bike was outside.

HPIM4104-1.jpg

...thanks don , it could be the darker blue, but then again it is a 1941...it depends how long national used that national blue as a steady color in there line.....:confused:

of course this is just a pick from the catalog page, but it looks like the original catalog. as for how close the catalog was to the bikes I don't know. I'm not certain but I don't think National blue is a metalic color.
nationalblue.gif

Last edited:
Pms!

If you can match to a pms book You can get close you just have to stick with the book as a sample... Ink,cmyk etc... or take it to a old auto paint place A skilled eye is always the way to go!:D

Cool bikes are getting parted out everyday this is gonna make matching anything difficult that is why people want original!!!:rolleyes:

More blue

I'll have to check the color schemes in the book later, but this is a 2 tone standard model from i believe 1941. The head tube color and even the darker part of the fender are close to what Scott has above. I'll see if i can take a better pic of the inside of one of the fenders to give a better look. Sorry for the blur on these.....
DSC08464-1.jpg

DSC08469-1.jpg

DSC08478-1.jpg

DSC08472-1.jpg

Rhandys color looks to be exactly the same color as mine, heres a better pic of the 2 blues, definately not metallic'

HPIM4184.gif

Back