When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman D34

-

MrAustralia

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi CABE,

I purchased this bike about 18 months ago. I have completely re-greased all the hubs and bearings, added a more correct guard and an egg crate rack. It has now become one of my favorite riders.

I have been trying to remove the house paint (0000 steel wool and wd40) but for every inch I successfully remove the other inch goes back to bare metal no matter how gentle I am. Any extra tips would be appreciated! I still have a long way go, the fenders appear to be chrome under the white paint, so stripping them next might be the go.

I also cannot find the date stamp on the fork, did any escape the stamping process?

Still work to do, but as its summer here it’s just time to ride!

Cheers

MrA

I don't believe these early forks have stamps. I think the first time you see any numbers is '37 and by '38 you see the numbers we are familiar with. @New Mexico Brant @John may be able to shed more light on this. V/r Shawn

I have been trying to remove the house paint (0000 steel wool and wd40) but for every inch I successfully remove the other inch goes back to bare metal no matter how gentle I am. Any extra tips would be appreciated! I still have a long way go, the fenders appear to be chrome under the white paint, so stripping them next might be the go.
Why use steel wool or WD 40? The wool is abrasive so no matter how careful you are you will lose original paint. There are numerous threads about different chemical methods. Here is one, post #31. Somewhere I posted another with the paint removal on Aerocycle fenders.

Back