When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Dayton G519 Frame Numbers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just want to update on my build. Still a long way to go, need to build the wheels and add fender braces. Plus modify civilian truss rods to fit. Persons seat needs the correct rear springs to it.
92028C0F-F04B-4EE5-81F0-35C4409D9CE8.jpeg
771645D9-5FC7-40CE-ACD1-DC8B958287A2.jpeg

Hi @bon

If you're working on the wheels, then one piece of good news, is that Huffmansoften used the Lobdell style of rim instead of the the surplus Military ones you see around, which are found on Columbia's. Can anyone tell me the make of the Columbia rims? I had it down somewhere, but I've misplaced it.

The photo below is from when I changed the tyres on my Columbia and Huffman last year for the Royal Master Centipede type (it was a nice hot day, so the rubber was softer to work with). The wheels on the left are from the Huffman, and on the right, from the Columbia. You can see the difference in rim profile.

The botom picture is one of the rims on the Huffman as found.

Best Regards,

Adrian

1634728474441.png

Hi @schwinnphantom

That's impressive!

It's interesting that they should all end up there. Have you seen any Columbia's (which should be more common), or is it simply that you like the Huffman types?

Would you be willing to share any details/photos such as serial numbers, by PM if you prefer?

Thanks for your help,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @schwinnphantom

Thanks for the photo, always interesting to see another, and the modifications it's gained during it's lifetime.

If you do come across the serial numbers , and want to share them, that can help others date their bikes too, and we are also getting an idea of the size of the contracts etc. You will notice I don't include the owner's contact details on the list, this was deliberate as a matter of privacy.

Best Regards,

Adrian

I will do so. Thanks for being there. By the way, if you have leads on dayton huffman military bike parts, kindly let me know. Thank you

Hi @schwinnphantom

Thanks (-: If that's a G519 Columbia, details of it would be of use too.

As you've probably realised, Huffman parts are generally rarer than Columbia, but there is also a little more variation in parts possible than with Columbia's.

I think a first step would be to assess what parts you have.

Just frames? Frames and original forks? Original hubs? Wheels etc.

Than you could assess which is the best to rebuild first. Ideally frame/forks/Morrow hub of the correct date would be the best thing to build around.

Handlebars are still easily available on Ebay, though there seem to be fewer around than there were.

Original hubs are difficult, to find, but it is possible to find wartime dated Morrow hubs with size 13 spokes, so build a lighter weight wheel.

As you can see from my post 32 above, Lobdell rims were an alternative to drop centres used on Huffmans, and are quite easy to find in the size 13 spoke, and easy to drill out to the heavier size 10 spoke.

The frame I see doesn't have the correct chain wheel, but these are available in 'blackout', off civilian Daytons of the period, and turn up on this site for sale reasonably often. The Torrington 8 pedals also turn up here, and you can buy some with poor plating to strip and paint. The wooden blocks occasionally turn up as originals, or reproductions are available here: http://www.bergerwerke.com/products.html

You may also want to contact @Krakatoa on this site with your wants list. He seems to be able to turn up a lot of the wartime bike parts.

And there's the 'wanted' section on this site which helps too.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back