When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Dayton G519 Frame Numbers

-
Dear All,

last update before Christmas.

Thanks to those who have submitted more details on their bikes, I will always be happy to receive more to create a fuller table.

upload_2016-12-20_13-0-33.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Nice work putting this together. Would it be worth it to list the recovery date or date these bikes surfaced?

Hi iswingping,

Thanks for the appreciation (-:

The information mostly came from internet searches, with the majority of the it from here, or the G503 (jeep) forum. This means that the best I could do would be to state the first internet page reference date. I'll have a think about it.

I have a fuller version of the list for both Daytons and Columbias which includes all internet references and sources, but felt it wasn't fair to owners who didn't want publicity to publish it here. To ensure it's not lost, I've sent full copies to Johan (Liberator), who will probably include the table above in his next site update, and also to Mr. Columbia. There will also be copies out shortly to the two or three people here who kindly supplied their own lists for inclusion.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

it's been a while since I did the tables above, so I started working on updated versions of the Columbia and Huffman G519 serial number lists.

At about the same time, New Mexico Brant asked for some information on civilian Huffmans of the same period, which I hadn't collected first time round, so I have produced a new table for all Huffmans from 1942 to 45.

Below is my latest draft update for all the wartime Huffman numbers that I could find. Frames in bold are civilian, the rest are military.

If you have any further details you'd like me to include, please let me know.

1553691290283.png

Including the civilian bikes has added to the knowledge of the military bikes too.

From the table, where the fork dates are known, they follow well with the order of the frame numbers.

Bearing in mind the limited data available, the civilian bikes tend to outline the three known Huffman military contracts quite well. The numbers don't fully match, but it's rare to find wartime contracts that do. (The Columbia ones are a headache I've still not resolved). The implication of the 'Approx number in Block' in comparison to the numbers claimed delivered in the 'Ordnance Receipts' is that during contracts 1 and 3 they may have also been building civilian bikes that we've not seen examples of yet. By the end of the third contract there is one civilian bike on the list above with a frame number before the alst G519 in the block, which may support this idea.

The second contract is 2000 below the number delivered, but we don't know the true start and end numbers, so it looks like this period was substantially G519 and little else.

1553258162905-png.968783

These are only opinions, and I'm still thinking about this. I would welcome any thoughts you have on it.

For those just interested in G519, here is the same list without the civilian bikes:

There are 32 bikes listed, an increase of 10 over the previous list.

1553691366013.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi Blackcat,

Thanks for the additional information. I've added it to the Huffman master table for next time.

I"m now working on an update to the Columbia table.

Have a Good Weekend,

Adrian

Hi ChadC

Thanks for the update, every little helps (-:

The fork is the correct date for the frame, Jan 42. D51630 exits and has the same fork date. It also has an L1 dated Morrow, yours being M1 (Jan-March 43) is a replacement, but this is not uncommon, and is still the correct rare military hub.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, just want to add this one. Seeing your table gave me an idea about mine. Its a big help to all of us. Here it is. Not sure about the H and the 3 below. But i think the fork is Dec 43.
27479AAF-F9CE-47C7-BCFF-C0D8ED8AEC25.jpeg
1B0AEDA6-66B5-4747-92EE-7F7CCA7608B5.jpeg
F2AE4D55-7065-4719-ACE3-0032359385DE.jpeg

Back