When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman "Death Bike" has changed hands

-
Thanks

The Bike actually sold for 2200.00 in 1998. Straight from Bill Bankard (not Reese) like the CABE article read. And there will be a one time limit on it being at Ann Arbor as long as I own it and that has already happened when it lost the show for Classic Bicycle of the year 1998. I am lucky and very happy to be its owner. Mike

Last edited:
The Bike actually sold for 2200.00 in 1998. Straight from Bill Bankard ( not Reese ) like the CABE article read. And there will be a one time limit on it being at Ann Arbor as long as I own it and that has already happened when it lost the show for Classic Bicycle of the year 1998. I am lucky and very happy to be its owner. Mike

You could be very wise to keep it out of AA. I can't believe it didn't win in '98. I guess it's notoriety hadn't gained momentum.

Another part of the story before the bike was sold at the Butler bike swap.I am a bike collector as well and when you think you found every good bike in your neighborhood don't believe it lol,this bike was blocks away from my house in a small barn type building that sat on abandoned property still there today .The man who bought the property called my house three weeks or so before the swap meet and my girlfriends daughter took the call and wrote down bike for sale 150.00 but did not write antique or old bike i took it as a mountain bike or something new and never called him back.I found out later he called a local bike shop up and they told him about a bike swap that was coming up and that is how the bike made it to the Butler swap.I also collect other antiques and drove past the building for many years and often thought about taking a walk through the woods to see if anything was in it .Not only could i have had that bike for 150 bucks i could have had it for free lol.Months after the bike was sold at the bike show i met up with a old friend who said he was thinking of buying this old house and when he looked over the property he said a old bike was hanging in this shed and he said its most likely still there so we took a drive up to that house ,,,,we knocked on the door and this guy said how can i help you so i told him that my friend here was thinking of buying this place and there was a old bike hanging in your building over there,,he said yes there was a sold it just not long ago,,,i said did you sell that at a bike show and sure enough it was the death bike.He asked me did i do ok on it and i said yes you did ok but was a very rare bike and do you remember talking to a young girl about the bike for sale he said yes the bike guy who lives up the road ,,yep that was me lol,,,what a story right ?,,,so remember that fantastic bike could still be around the corner.I do get asked all the time don't you feel bad about that bike you missed and i just answer ,,no the next year i found 11 Bowden Spacelanders in one pile,,,but then thats another story.

Back