When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman "Death Bike" has changed hands

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was at that swap! Saw the bike in person. What a neat swap meet day that was...

I was just starting collecting muscle bikes then, and collected only Schwinn Sting-Ray and Krate bikes, like every 60's kid does when he starts in the hobby it seems. I had two friends with me, and we had a table at the back end of the ballroom at the swap. There was a door to the parking lot next to us, and the guy who sold the bike wheeled it right past us from the parking lot.

Soon there were guys three deep around the bike. My friends and I had NO idea what we were looking at, we were all new to the hobby. I told them I'd go ask what the big deal was.

I walked over and sort of moved to the front of the circle around the bike. I asked the guy next to me what the bike was, and he just said, "that's a Huffy Death Bike" and explained the suspension to me really briefly. He said the guy found it in a house he bought, and was taking the highest price he was offered on it. Everyone seemed like they were pooling their money together to buy it, and I think one or two guys ran out to the ATM to get more money. I went back to our table and told my friends what I was told and we watched it sell. I remember being told the selling price was $2,200 by someone later in the day.

This was back when the internet was in it's infancy and there weren't many good bicycle hobby related web sites. The best one back then (or at least for me) was the Schwinn Forum hosted on Schwinn.com. I got back from the swap and wrote a little note about the swap, and mentioned that I saw "The Huffy Death Bike" there. Had a few comments on the Schwinn stuff I mentioned, but no one commented on the Death Bike.

About a year later I got an email and phone call from Steve Culver, who I believe published a monthly newsletter back then. He said he saw my post on the Schwinn Forum and thought I didn't know what I was talking about. He found out later the bike was there, and asked me a little about it. I wasn't much help because I didn't realize the significance of the bike then. Now I would be taking pictures with it if I saw it!

Looking back, it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Back