When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman fork date stamp

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There is a block of H and four numbers, H and five numbers in 1940, and this is where that one fits, somewhere mid year.
Adrian,

I have to respectfully disagree about your 1940 conclusion. This bike has five Huffman features that do not show up until the after war. The seat post clamp (this style band clamp was not used by Huffman until after the war), the tab fork (without a date code), the rear chain adjustors with integrated nuts, the Dayton badge with "Dayton, Ohio" (the prewar Dayton badge is marked Huffman Mfr. in the wing area), and the badge rivets (these may show up early pre-war? but not in 1940). If I was dating this just based on these traits I would say 1946. Of the four or five dozen Huffmans I have owned there have been more then a handful with very jenky serial numbers. Most of this could be ascribed to human error; number issues include: restrikes, bikes with the Firestone letters then changed to Western Flyer letters, understikes, and in some cases it seems the striker must be either drunk or just being playful. It would be easy to conclude some serial number strikes may possibly be lacking a number or two. We have also seen the numbers on forks reversed on a few occasions.

I do appreciate you taking the time to try and make sense of all this.

John, does the bike have a welded on factory kickstand?

Kindly, Brant

60D29718-D96F-404D-8EDC-5A96D20B3A5B.png

Last edited:
Hi Brant

@New Mexico Brant

You have physically handled far more of these bicycles than I (In my case 1, and I have seen multiple examples which you have owned), so I take your comments with the greatest of respect.

I am practically finished with the listing I have compiled (150 references). It would be of great benefit to me if you were prepared to look through it and comment on it before it was made widely available? Some of the references have been gleaned from the Twinflew project you worked on, and from Scott's Huffman Serial Number thread.

If you are OK with this suggestion, can I send it to you as an Excell spreadsheet (which will give you the hyperlink references), or I can send an image, as you prefer.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Sure Adrian I'd be interested in this. V/r Shawn
Hi @Freqman1 @New Mexico Brant @Tomato John

John, Sorry, I've jumped the gun. It's an interesting bike to be causing this much discussion.

Shawn, Sorry. I didn't intend to step on your toes. Would you like to be included in reviewing what I've done?

Brant, I'll knock the final edges off it and send it through in the next couple of days.

Best Regards (V/r)

Adrian

Adrian,

I have to respectfully disagree about your 1940 conclusion. This bike has five Huffman features that do not show up until the after war. The seat post clamp (this style band clamp was not used by Huffman until after the war), the tab fork (without a date code), the rear chain adjustors with integrated nuts, the Dayton badge with "Dayton, Ohio" (the prewar Dayton badge is marked Huffman Mfr. in the wing area), and the badge rivets (these may show up early pre-war? but not in 1940). If I was dating this just based on these traits I would say 1946. Of the four or five dozen Huffmans I have owned there have been more then a handful with very jenky serial numbers. Most of this could be ascribed to human error; number issues include: restrikes, bikes with the Firestone letters then changed to Western Flyer letters, understikes, and in some cases it seems the striker must be either drunk or just being playful. It would be easy to conclude some serial number strikes may possibly be lacking a number or two. We have also seen the numbers on forks reversed on a few occasions.

Kindly, Brant

View attachment 1300955
Hi sorry coming into this late. Will check when I return home. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Adrian,

Kindly, Brant

View attachment 1300955

Back