When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman G519

-

Fred Green

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello All,

I was offered this Huffman G519 this week. I have always wanted a military bike but know absolutely nothing about them. It looks pretty complete but in pretty rough shape. From the photos the Chain ring looks bent. These are the only pictures I have . Can anybody give me a price for this in this condition? The seller is looking for $1,400. Thanks.

Fred
Sparta

huff1.jpg

huff2.jpg

huff3.jpg

huff4.jpg

huff5.jpg

I'm no expert on these but this bike is legit. Looks to be missing some of the accessroies e.g. light, tool pouch, etc... . I'm thinking that price isn't out of line but I'll let the experts pick this one apart and tell you where your at. V/r Shawn

I agree with Shawn. Can’t tell if the wheels are past their prime but if it were me- I would go for it. Seems like blackout chainrings are relatively easy to find. Tool bag will be the hardest thing to get. Cool bike!

Appears to be very restorable from those pictures and pretty darn complete, though may need new rims? How do the hubs look? I’d say that’s a reasonable price in my opinion as well.

Hello Fred;
I would say, like my 2 colleagues above, that you have found a small nugget.
If is the D5187 , it is the oldest G519 HUFFMAN military bike referenced on the @Mercian data list.
It is relatevely healthy and complete, missing the DELTA WINNER light (findable) and the toolbag (not easy), the rear rim seems very ill to me but the rest is superb! The price seems good to me too.
Look at the post of @johan willaert on the restoration of his HUFFMAN, it is the same as this one.
Regards;
Serge

Hi,Fred,

Yes, 677 is one of the two codes used by Huffman for these bikes.

I think the number is actually D5187X, where the X is a missing number. 5187 is too short for a number for one of these bikes, and there are known others in D51XXX region. So, not the earliest, but early, and part of the first contract.

If that is correct, and it still has the original forks, these are dated on the rear. Probably 12 in this case, for January 1942. The forks probably are original, since the lower truss supports are welded to the fork, a feature of early Huffman G519 forks. Later ones have the two piece design the same as Columbias..

Please could you check the fork date and share it with us? Also, out of interest, is there a date on the civilian license, this may tell us when it came out of service.

Also, if it's the original rear Morrow hub, it will probably be dated L1, for quarter 1, 1942.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian.

PS, in case it's of interest, the list Serge mentions is Post 14, here:

Of course on a serious note, If you want a prime army bike you can always buy this one and let me buy the Huffman :innocent:

Someone sent me photos of this bike last week and inquired about its value.
I estimated this one at about 1250-1500.
might have been the seller or another potential buyer

Back