Huffman G519

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Fred Green

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 7, 2019
Sparta, Wi
Hello All,

I was offered this Huffman G519 this week. I have always wanted a military bike but know absolutely nothing about them. It looks pretty complete but in pretty rough shape. From the photos the Chain ring looks bent. These are the only pictures I have . Can anybody give me a price for this in this condition? The seller is looking for $1,400. Thanks.

Fred
Sparta

huff1.jpg

huff2.jpg

huff3.jpg

huff4.jpg

huff5.jpg

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I'm no expert on these but this bike is legit. Looks to be missing some of the accessroies e.g. light, tool pouch, etc... . I'm thinking that price isn't out of line but I'll let the experts pick this one apart and tell you where your at. V/r Shawn

Tomato John

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 8, 2017
Spokane Washington
I agree with Shawn. Can’t tell if the wheels are past their prime but if it were me- I would go for it. Seems like blackout chainrings are relatively easy to find. Tool bag will be the hardest thing to get. Cool bike!

Reactions: tryder and blackcat

Whitey1736

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 19, 2015
New Hampshire, United States
Appears to be very restorable from those pictures and pretty darn complete, though may need new rims? How do the hubs look? I’d say that’s a reasonable price in my opinion as well.

Reactions: tryder and blackcat

blackcat

Apr 4, 2017
Le Raincy, France
Hello Fred;
I would say, like my 2 colleagues above, that you have found a small nugget.
If is the D5187 , it is the oldest G519 HUFFMAN military bike referenced on the @Mercian data list.
It is relatevely healthy and complete, missing the DELTA WINNER light (findable) and the toolbag (not easy), the rear rim seems very ill to me but the rest is superb! The price seems good to me too.
Look at the post of @johan willaert on the restoration of his HUFFMAN, it is the same as this one.
Regards;
Serge

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi,Fred,

Yes, 677 is one of the two codes used by Huffman for these bikes.

I think the number is actually D5187X, where the X is a missing number. 5187 is too short for a number for one of these bikes, and there are known others in D51XXX region. So, not the earliest, but early, and part of the first contract.

If that is correct, and it still has the original forks, these are dated on the rear. Probably 12 in this case, for January 1942. The forks probably are original, since the lower truss supports are welded to the fork, a feature of early Huffman G519 forks. Later ones have the two piece design the same as Columbias..

Please could you check the fork date and share it with us? Also, out of interest, is there a date on the civilian license, this may tell us when it came out of service.

Also, if it's the original rear Morrow hub, it will probably be dated L1, for quarter 1, 1942.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian.

PS, in case it's of interest, the list Serge mentions is Post 14, here:

Whitey1736

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 19, 2015
New Hampshire, United States
Of course on a serious note, If you want a prime army bike you can always buy this one and let me buy the Huffman :innocent:

johan willaert

Feb 5, 2013
Bruges, Belgium
www.theliberator.be
Someone sent me photos of this bike last week and inquired about its value.
I estimated this one at about 1250-1500.
might have been the seller or another potential buyer

Reactions: Mercian
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

HUFFMANBILL

Jan 9, 2014
Maryland
Hey ALL,

A guy named Paul Wright sent me questions and pictures of this same bike back in early April 2018. When I inquired about the missing serial number he informed me it was a 4 (D51874) and the fork code is 22 (Feb., 1942). AS I remember, I gave him an account of the missing parts and he also wanted to know the value. I inquired if he wanted to sell it ( I really was not interested as I already own 1942 Huffman #D50158 presently the earliest military model, I believe on Mercian's Huffman list) , but he never returned that inquiry and I never heard from him after that. I thought it was interesting that this bike had and original Persons military seat rather then the Mesinger sliding rail usually seen on these early bent tube Huffman's.

Regards,
Bill

johan willaert

Feb 5, 2013
Bruges, Belgium
www.theliberator.be
More on my 1942 Huffman

Reactions: HUFFMANBILL

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi @Goldslinger

I would buy it . Just saw a Columbia frame and fork sell on EBay for over 900 bucks.
Please could you send me a link to the auction, or some details if you have them, so I can add them to the listings?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:

HUFFMANBILL

Jan 9, 2014
Maryland
Bill, my 1942 Huffman also originally came with a Persons military seat
Hey Johan,

If you will remember, I am the one that restored the PERSONS seat for your Huffman. I looked at the pictures of the restored seat in your 2014 post and that is my work. I also did the seat for your 1943 women's Columbia.

Regards,
Bill

Reactions: johan willaert
This ad goes away when you register for an account!