When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman/Huffy bottom bracket ID 1953 -- 24 Inch

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
So I was tearing down my 1953 Huffy 24 inch, and I can see why the chainguard was missing. The crank is wrong and could never have cleared a chainguard. It is also bent.

The rest of the bottom bracket was screwed up as well, and I need to know what I have here so I can go looking or advertising for parts. My question for the Huffman experts is thus: Does ANYTHING in this picture look like 1953 Huffy to you other than the chainwheel?

The crank is wrong, does not fit correctly, and is 5-1/2 inches center to center. How long is an original 1953 Huffy 24" crank?

Note how the inner cone needs a pin spanner to unscrew. Outer cone has slots on the outside like Schwinn, and is marked "10" on the inside. Both have a flat race surface (not a curved race) where the bearings run. Bearing retainers are 10 bearing and open on the outside. They are marked "STAR". The cups don't seem to be marked.

Thanks.

GpOUaIs.jpg

SMB looks Shelby. Maybe just get new bottom bracket bearings, cups, cones and hardware. Not sure when Huffy started to use Wald cranks.

Last edited:
That crank doesn't fit right, it would hit the chainguard. It is also bent. It's gotta go. My best guess at this point is that the bearings and the cups probably belong but the cones do not(?). The parts don't fit together properly either. The cages drag. No other Huffys or Huffmans of this age around to look at.

Reactions: ian
Back