When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Oil can

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So those fill cans are pre 1933ish?

I don’t know, when they ceased production of the gas and oil accessories, so I wouldn’t say, they are definitively pre 33ish.
Just that they started production in the mid 1920’s.
Here are a couple of the oil dispensers that I have.

I liked these, because they have the same logo that was used on their bicycles in the 1930’s.

It would be interesting to know how long Huffman continued this business line. The cans and funnels with the Huffman cursive script seem post war. Below is an oil can with Huffman logo that appears on bicycles after the second World War. Maybe our Huffman family member (on the forum) can shed some light on this part of the business?

qcWH.-VmCsHquEyhDGIK9Q.jpg

9prKebQ7Jm5jt5c8.FOGgw.jpg

I can! A little.

As most of you know, after he wound down Davis Sewing Company, in 1924 my great-grandfather Horace McKee Huffman, Sr., founded Huffman Manufacturing. He started with the oil cans and other service station equipment which the company sold into the 1970's. At that point everything was plastic, I remember my grandfather had a plastic Huffy water dispenser he'd water the plants with in their cottage in Northern Michigan.

About two months ago someone in Columbus, OH was selling a whole bunch of these . . . brand new still in the box. The logo and the design of the can tells me this has got to be late 1920's or early '30s. I swear that box looks like it was made yesterday, and it's probably over 90 years old. It looks identical to the one cyclingday shows up above.

On the back of the box is this stamp:

Davis Container Co. Never heard of that.

Here's an advertisement from 1931 showing all sorts of stuff they made:

It proves the logo on the oil can box above goes back at least that far.

That thing second from the bottom on the left is a sulfuric acid dispenser. Apparently back in the day, you needed to regularly refill your car battery with sulfuric acid, just like you had to top off your oil.

I actually found one of those too:

Another thing my great-grandfather made soon after he started Huffman Manufacturing were small plumbers torches like this one that someone polished up:

I also heard tell that he manufactured "plumbers furnaces," which from what I understand was a lead smelter that plumbers used to cast custom piping. I'm guessing there was no such thing as an old plumber in those days.

I also found this old display sign with the '50s Huffman winged "H" which is pretty cool.

And I also got these on eBay like 15 years ago from a guy in Georgia who said he was cleaning out his late uncle's service station that he'd owned since the early 1960's. Brand new with tags! He said he'd send them in their boxes . . . but he didn't.

And finally, two oil bottles. One like cyclingday's above from the 1930's probably, and the other from the 1950's given the "H" wing logo.

Last edited:
Back