When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @Girlbike Paul.

From other serial numbers in the range, it would appear to be a 1940/41 bike.

It is the first SFH code I've recorded.

Here's one that's the same colour, but a few months older than yours, I think:

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you very much. That's my frame, chain guard and chain ring alright. Finding images of similar bikes is pretty easy,, but not with that chain guard. Thank you again! I hope it's a decent contribution to the database!

Hi @Girlbike Paul,,

Thanks for putting up the photos and details (-:

Yes, the numbers are useful for my database. I have roughly 200 sets of details now from 1935 up to 1945, but, until 1942 there still seems to be problems with placing them in a logical order, hence the vague 1940/41 date.

I keep collecting in the hope that with enough information it'll suddenly make sense (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Huffman and Davis bought out a lot of smaller bicycle manufacturers. I suspect they continued the distribution and the serial number process the other manufacturers had in place, and that is why numbers do not have a logical order.

Hi @John

Thanks for the input. It really is a frustrating series, I've worked on the idea that the frames and forks were numbered as made, but then not put together until the bike was assemble, accounting for the non sequential dates seen. But your explanation is as good as any I've seen.

Being in France, I'm a bit divorced from the US bicycle community. Is this a common theory for the Huffman s/n problem?

Best Regards,

Adrian

Road worthy finally. Any chain guards out there?

IMG_8053.jpeg

IMG_8054.jpeg

IMG_8055.jpeg

IMG_8056.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

Hi @Girlbike Paul.

From other serial numbers in the range, it would appear to be a 1940/41 bike.

It is the first SFH code I've recorded.

Here's one that's the same colour, but a few months older than yours, I think:

Best Regards,

Adrian
A very smart friend of mine said to check the Morrow hub for any date coding. As it turns out, it;s K3 meaning third quarter of 1941. Kinda fits in pretty nicely with your estimate, huh? Sounds like you are right!
Waiting for spokes to lace the rear hub into the original rim. After that, she will be back on the road shortly!
Thank you very much for your time and help!

Hi @Girlbike Paul,

Thanks for the follow up, every little bit of information helps for the future (-:

We look forward to seeing the finished bike.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back