When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

-
Thanks

I think all the painted parts (kick stand, fender braces, spring, etc...) are original from the factory like that, does seem plausible? And thanks Phil for info on the light, I never saw one of those before, of course it had to be super rare.

Maybe this was an early Wartime bike made before they ran out of chrome plated hubs and sprockets, but they needed to paint other parts that were usually plated with something.

And, it its interesting that the matching paint headlight has the Western Flyer insignia on the sides.

Yeah, I mentioned in a pm that the light seems to be a very well matched piece off of another bike. I'm not sure when that light came out, but I'm pretty sure it's later. it does however look good on there. too bad it has the light screw holes on the fender for a torpedo. check and see if the spacing is right to fit a standard torpedo light. if not someone has drilled them. probably to mount that headlight before they saw the screw holes on the fork.

Yeah, I mentioned in a pm that the light seems to be a very well matched piece off of another bike. I'm not sure when that light came out, but I'm pretty sure it's later. it does however look good on there. too bad it has the light screw holes on the fender for a torpedo. check and see if the spacing is right to fit a standard torpedo light. if not someone has drilled them. probably to mount that headlight before they saw the screw holes on the fork.

Its just crazy to think that that light could be anything but original but I guess its possible. The screw holes do not match up with a typical fender light, they are the same as the ball lights braket spacing.

DSC09122_zpsc7de7ad8-1.jpg

Last edited:
1948 huffman

My first balloon bike a family bike,a national,maroon creme and blue pinstripes.havent gave it a good cleaning yet.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
still looking for a guard and a tank.odd bike has painted rims and had w/w chain tires on it excuse the red tires first balloon bike ha

These are supposed to be 1951,(have two will only post one, they are identical) anybody agree/disagree?

IMG_0858_zpsaf7a125b-1.jpg

IMG_0863_zpsd8e820f2-1.jpg

Huffman Bicycle Serial Number H 140405

This is a Huffman bicycle I recently purchased, I am seeking any information concerning what year? model? etc. The serial number appears to be H followed by either a L or 1 and the other numbers 40405. Can anyone help with some information about this bike? I can send a picture if needed, I can't get the picture to attach to this htread.

bump!
First, if this is to be helpful, please post a serial number and a photo of your bike only, ask all other questions in the forum.
This will make this thread more manageable. As it is, in future, this post will be difficult to find being in the middle of the thread.

Huffman's serial numbering system is very difficult to figure out. many numbering systems overlap, while some were used only on certain brands or certain models. The serial chart provided by ABC Services is useful only to a certain degree. Many number patterns are not covered, and it gives a huge spread of numbers that cover several years leaving us with no real discernible way to pin anything to a certain year.
when I started this project several years ago, I made the mistake of letting people tell me what they thought their bike was. I should have simply grouped them by general number pattern, and alpha numerical order and only pinned a date on the ones we had definite dating for. during the years that have passed, I have forgotten the discussions and circumstances of many of the numbers in the chart, and have almost no record as to how the owner came up with the date given. in future, bikes will only be added if a serial and photo are posted.
Please, if you have a serial that has not been posted, post it, and a photo of your bike, ask questions in the forum that most fits your bike.

Here are some of the rudimentary findings so far:
(I used an 8 to represent any number, and an H to represent any letter, except in the case of 1939 Firestones which all appear to have FAH following the serial number.)

(5 numbers) appears to have been used from 1934 to 1936.

(5 numbers with 1 number below the other numbers) appears to be used from 1937 to 1938.

H8888

(a letter followed by 4 numbers with 1 number below the other numbers) appears to have been used from 1937 to 1941.

8888FAH
(4 numbers followed by FAH was used in 1939 by Firestone only)

H888888
(1 letter followed by 6 numbers) appears to be used from 1939 to 1944.

H

(5 numbers followed by 1 or more letter, or with 1 or more letters under, or around the numbers) appears to be used from 1941 to around 1944.

888888H
(6 numbers followed by 1 letter) appears to be used during and right after WWII, maybe 1944 to 1947.

8H888888
(1number followed by 1 letter, followed by 6 numbers) will be a bike made between 1947 and somewhere in the early to mid '60's

Back