When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So i guess there is still input on this subject.
Just got a new number that has me stumped.
No "H" prefix but, an "M"
29ba2eb3b6dfce071ffc3f67a73db74d.jpg
b1bd8a57ee801a4459f901283a26897a.jpg
36b1f0775c8a6f9f1e3c53de11e3ef4d.jpg
cc4a02cd2b758e6a7561bb822f352f6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi @Euphman06

I'm steadily building a Huffman chart for WW2 and just prewar bikes.

From that I think 4256HOW is from the last third of 1939.

You may get a more exact date if there are numbers stamped on the rear of the fork (see the 114 example above your post). If there are numbers, could you tell us what they are, to help improve the dating charts?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

I think its a HCW at the end and the fork I don't believe is original. Looks like a wald-esque replacement at some point.

Hi @Euphman06

I agree, 4256HCW. I'm also fairly sure I've dated it wrong, I'm sorry about that.

Thanks, I just had an epiphany looking back to correcting my listing for your bike.

Take HCW. When Huffman use these three letter codes, H always appears, so is likely to be Huffman. W is probably for Western Auto.

We have examples of HAW, HBW and yours, HCW, which are all Western Auto. Unfortunatly, only about 50% of the serial numbers I have have fork dates, and we're not sure how these correspond, whether they are a bicycle production date, or a fork manufacture date (so an unknown date before actual manufacture). We also don't know how many forks are replacements (we know they get damaged quite often).

Anyway, looking at the chart I've compiled, I've just noticed that bikes with an A in the centre of the code are generally 1939, B 1940, C 1941.

I have one 1938 fork date recorded, and that is just a serial number with no code.

In 1942 we move onto military bike G519 production. Their serial numbers start D, and they helpfully have 1942 stamped on the BB. I've read that D stood for Dayton, the brand name on the bike, but I'm thinking that may be a coincidence, and D is 1942.

From D, somewhere between June and Sept 1942, the letter changes to H for all Huffman bikes. This was a Government requirement, since headbadges were deleted, and the models were common, so Westfield went to W (for civilian bikes only) at about the same time.

H continues through to the end of my records in 1945.

I'm going to have to reorganise my listings, to see if that makes sense, but it's a job for later this week.

If what I've said is correct (and it's a work in progress, as you can tell), then HCW would be sometime in 1941. Sorry to have messed up.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Here you go. Its the best I can do right now. Also, is the front fender cut down? I am guessing , yes, but figured I would ask. And the rear rack, seems like it doesn't quite fit the aesthetic.

Back