When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok, again I'll add I can't edit this post and add serials any more so I've moved the active list to my site at: http://classicbicyclefanatics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49&sid=be12b7d25a055577b33ce88176d47c2e
simply make a post with the serial here or there and a photo if you can and I'll add your serial to the list.
another thing of note in 1939 Firestone introduced the Flying Ace which was a Huffman made bike and is distinctive in that the tank is part of the frame. in 1940 and 1941 the Flying Aces were made by Colson and the serials would not be found here. A photo would help me identify exactly what you have. the Firestone and other catalogs can be found here: http://classicbicyclefanatics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=be12b7d25a055577b33ce88176d47c2e
Kyle, the serial on your girls bike is of the sequence of the pre and war time bikes. as we discussed, it is likely from around 1943-45. the other serial doesn't look quite right, is it from yout Columbia? if it is a Huffman please post a photo so I can get an idea what we're dealing with. I havent run into any Huffmans with a "K" in the serial. the letter usually indicate the trim level of the bike or sometimes one of the larger contract companies. B for Belknap, W for Western Flyer, FAH for Firestone, etc. the Huffman designations are H Huffman, D Dayton, N National, A Airflyte etc.

are huffmans ''rare'' if you will? Also, how would one go about finding out what the original model was?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this one a while back, Supposed to be a 1941 Western Flyer

0012-1.jpg

Serial #30973H?W see the pic, not sure if the ? is supposed to be a B, P or an R (HBW) (HPW) or (HRW)???

0124-1.jpg

Can you help me scott? Or anybody?

View attachment HAWTHORNE.zipHello scott,
i have one that i am asking for your help in solving. I purchased 2 bikes last weekend. One is a 1954 columbia . I beleive its called a newsboy. Going by what the owner has told me that is came from the factory with no chain guard. Said that it came with a optional pants leg clip. I have never heard of that. There is no head badge and only one decal on the bike which is rectangle in shape. It is positioned below the second back bone.the sticker reads " exclusive thermomatic construction" you can also tell that it also had a tank at one time. The second unit i have is supposed to be a montgomery ward hawthorne going by the head badge. I found a bike that looks just like it but its a dayton. Everything matches from the same paint scheme, colors, chain guard and the front end tension bars. The serial number is 7h280630. The wheels are a silver gray metallic color with a thin red pinstripe that goes around the wheel. Even the chain gear is different. When you have a chance can you please take a few minutes and tell what you think.
Thanks,
scott

Help Identifying and Dating

I have what appears to be a Huffman ZEPHYR bicycle. The serial number is 83735 It is a woman's model. It has the older spring style seat with a spring in front, it has a kickstand a perforated chain guard, no 'tank' it has a basket and a horn and a luggage carrier. Any ideas and information are appreciated, I may follow up with a PIC.

I have what appears to be a Huffman ZEPHYR bicycle. The serial number is 83735 It is a woman's model. It has the older spring style seat with a spring in front, it has a kickstand a perforated chain guard, no 'tank' it has a basket and a horn and a luggage carrier. Any ideas and information are appreciated, I may follow up with a PIC.

Has this question been answered and this thread usurped by this one?

this is what I was going by.
View attachment 28592

1. If so, does that mean the leading 'H' is not put on these bikes (is it ok to call them bikes or does one have to say bicycle here?)?
  2. Is there any other identifying information that might be helpful? (will try to get a pic up).
  3. The bike is in decent shape, looks all original (paint and accessories etc., not in terms of wear)
  4. What does one do with such a thing -- to clean it up -- Not interested in (does not need) restoration per se.
  5. Does anyone then actually ride/use these bikes are are they show and tell projects or just what?

Bike ID update

brake bracket says "NEW DEPARTURE MODEL D" - FWIW

pictures

another update! I added bentwoody66's 1939 La France. neat bike! also out of respect I only add the serials if you ask, I don't want to upset anyone who doesn't want theirs used.
Scott:cool:

Id there any pictures of the LaFrance

HUFFY anyone

Photos and Serial Section
Scott

I'm a bit confused when it comes to serial #'s. I have a Girls Huffy with serial # on the bottom of bike of 8h230694 and also has another on the side of seat post of #A17050A. I might be getting this confused but I think I might have a Huffy LaFrance? Did I do the research right? If not could someone tell me what year my bike is and style. How does anyone know if it's a 38~48~58~68 ? What makes them differ? Is this considered prewar or postwar?

259707_207461535955727_100000756459439_547442_7197042_o.jpg

on the Huffman and Huffy bikes the first thing to do is look at the bike and determine what era the bike is from.
in the 1930's everything was about streamlining. characterized by sweeping lines and graceful beauty.
in the 1940's everything was about Airplanes. look for cues from WWII ariplanes
in the 1950's everything was Jet age. look for things like jet type intakes and the like on the bikes.
in the 1960's everything was Rocket age. lots of space age stuff, like plastic and that odd super modern look the '60's had.

Your girls bike has that very typical Aircraft carrier rack and other cues that put it in the mid to late '50's so the 8 would indicate 1958.
another tell tale on your bike is the "Fit-Sooner" frame with no seat post binder. it was designed to allow a bigger bike for growing kids by letting the seat be lowered lower than on normal bikes so they would fit a larger bike that they could grow into. "Fit-Sooner" came out in the mid 1950's.

Back