When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
very cool story Marc! I wonder if it was a replacement for a Deathbike style bike to get people to buy the new version. again it sounds like it may be that Huffman pulled this bike from the Huffman or Dayton line and badged it special for this purpose. this kinda makes your bike special, not only for it's condition but for it's uniqueness.
Scott:cool:
P.S. I'll add your Flying Ace! there should be a number under the serial number (also notice the FAH:) )

Hey Marc got a spare flying ace headbadge? I need one.

icon_smile_banghead.gif
do you have another serial? the buy sell trade forum is here:
http://www.thecabe.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4

your bike is definitely a 1949, do you want me to add you to the list?
here's the head badge
c8_3.gif

here's a copy of the catalog from 1948.
vbulletin

I got this girls bike recently.

I think it is pretty solidly a 1947. It has pre-1948 rear fork with rear facing dropouts, an "H" stem bolt, Hiawatha badge, and a curved fender mount. Serial number 7H081156.

I had an orphan ladies Huffman springer fork that needed a home and the fork is bent on this one anyway. It seems to me that the sprocket should be the twister style skiptooth? What do you think?

P1010063-1.jpg

P10100341-1.jpg

what badge does this one have?

Update!!
A few additions to the list. a nice 1949 with a decal headbadge, a new one on me! most have actual badges. very cool bike!

my bad, I guess I should learn how to read huh?:D I have seen the badges but you could add it if you think it would help others.

ok I would say W for Western that's simple enough, frame characteristics such as dropouts with dropstand tabs which stopped in 1938 with the arrival of the kick stand, the straight down tube, the early Western badge puts it at 1937. the serial falls into the list right next to shutterbugKELLY's 1937 Fleetwood Supreme. so I am going with 1952... just kidding I'm going with 1937. I saw that frame, it was listed with a slightly earlier Fleetwood frame of a very similar style. did you buy both? $50.00 was a fair price. when done it should look basically like most Huffmans of that vintage. you might look at shutterbugKELLY's Belknap as a basic reference. some parts will be slightly different but overall they are very similar. here's the page from the 1937 National catalog. again due to the National being a top level bike and the Western being a Huffman level bike it will only be similar, the paint patterns will definitely be different and some parts will be upgraded on the National. I have the paint pattern for the Westerns if you want to go original. need I ask, do you want it added?
6Modelsno.gif

does that mean that you got the other frame??:D
the big hole is for a different headbadge. some people call them a bottlecap style, there is a small insert attached to the back of the badge which when inserted into the hole is crimped to the bike. no screws or pins.

no, didn't get the other frame, but noticed it had the hole.
there was also a frame supposedly from the 20's with a "DAYTON" chain ring that had the hole. do you have a photo of that badge?

if i get another huffman frame, it will be a later style super streamline.

good luck finding a streamliner, especially the one with the curved rear stays if that is what you are referring to. actually they were made in 1937 like the Firestones with the straight stays. reliable sources have it that there are only around 8-10 around. there are probably a bit more but still very hard to find.
here are some poor photos of the "bottle cap" style badges. the National is the only one I have a photo of the back of the badge and even then the crimp is missing, but you can see the outline of where it used to be.
DSCF0033.gif

DSCF0030.gif

06_1.gif

go ahead and add this # to the list.

Do you think my ladies frame above is a '47?
I thought the 1/2 inch H star chain ring was introduced in 1948?
You can add this # to the list as well.
sorry i didn't realize i didn't get around to getting the date to the girls bike. yes i would think it is a 1947. it has the new postwar serial sequence and cannot be a 1957 since the rear drop outs though still rear facing are very different on the '50's bikes. this indeed leaves 1947. as to the chainring it may be a late 1947 bike or the ring may have come out slightly earlier than you think. I have a photo of another 1947 with the same ring. the other bike is a boys Western Flyer. I'll add both bikes:D

Back