When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Streamliner questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
J

jdbrewster

Hi everyone I am new to this site and have some questions about a 37 Huffman built streamliner. I bought the bike ten+ years ago, and when I found it, it was pretty rough but too cool to pass up and about 80% there. Even though I'm not a huge fan of restored bikes I feel like this one deserves it, and after storing and toting it from residence to residence I'm finally ready to attempt my first complete resto! It had been painted twice over the original paint which I was able to uncover with denatured alcohol, scotch brute pads and a ton of elbo grease....it appears that it was originally badged a Dayton. The paint was as follows: main color dark blue with a greyish black tone to it, the trim was cream, and it was striped with red pinstriping. I'm gonna match it as close as possible. When I found the bike it was missing it's original bars and stem, and the frame had to be re-brazed where the seat bolt attaches, I also had to have the cheese grater gaurd straightened and had to fabricate a replacement clip for it... I have since purchased a putter neck a few years back cast from bronze from a guy on eBay (wich subsequently slips) and the correct bars and grips. I am currently looking for the early variant of the Dayton badge, and a clean persons tombstone reflector (the one I have is good bit the aluminum cover is really beat up. My questions are these: first off is there any difference between the sweetheart sprockets that came on Huffman made bikes and the early Schwinns etc.? It has a 26 tooth sprocket and I'd like to put on a 22 tooth for easier peddling. Also the 9 hole rack I have looks original to the bike but it's the one with the built in taillight which I've been told is not correct' this one was originally chrome but is currently peeling...any thoughts??

jdbrewster - I am currently looking for the early variant of the Dayton badge (Is it a rivit badge or a pop bottle type that you are looking for?

DaytonBadges.gif

DaytonBadgesBack.gif

If it is the rivit type, they pop up on ebay every now and again. If you are looking for a pop bottle version . . . they are hard to come by. I've only seen two in the last 12 years on Ebay and one was beat to hell and I bought the other.), and a clean persons tombstone reflector (the one I have is good bit the aluminum cover is really beat up. My questions are these: first off is there any difference between the sweetheart sprockets that came on Huffman made bikes and the early Schwinns etc.? Yes, there is a big difference. Sorry for the lousy photo, but it is the only Schwinn chainring that I own and the nearest Huffman chainring that I could put my hands on.

IMG_3172.gif

It has a 26 tooth sprocket and I'd like to put on a 22 tooth for easier peddling. It will look funny with the smaller chainring. If you are going to do a resto on such a beauty, use the correct chainring. Also the 9 hole rack I have looks original to the bike but it's the one with the built in taillight which I've been told is not correct' this one was originally chrome but is currently peeling...any thoughts?? Go to Dave's website www.nostalgic.net. He has a few '37 catalogs in his archives that may help you. There are also a bunch of 37's that owners have posted photos of on his website as well.

Last edited:
I have a few SuperStreamliners, we'll need lots of detailed photos of what you have so we can determine what's correct and what's not. I just sold one of mine and the badge you are looking for, they're hard to get. it shouldn't be the bottle cap one but the early one with the screws. the main difference is that it won't say Dayton Ohio on the front of it.
here is a photo of the old style and new style side by side for you. I'm starting to get geared up for the Huffman stuff on my forum, there is already a thread for superstreamliners there you should join and post yours. I'll be posting my stuff there soon.
6ocrys-1.jpg

Thanks SteveO and Scott!! I get some pics up later next week when I get back to New Orleans. It's currently bolted together in my living room. The badge I'm looking for is the rivit type that only says Huffman Mfg. and not Dayton Ohio. And just so I am totally clear the Huffman ring has the sharp triangles and the circles (the chain ring pictured on the bike)...if so the one that came on it isn't right. Also I was wondering if you guys had pics of how thie wiring was rigged from the tank to the silver rays. Mine has no wire left and someone mounted a Delta "rowdy" horn slightly above the silver rays between the truss rods. Also I'm sure they're next to non existant but what about the cool aluminum speedo housings? Do they exist... Has anyone repoped them?
And Scott, I'll check out your Huffman forum!!
Thanks!!
Jackson

the early badges use small screws not rivets. the rivets started in 1941. speedo housings are exceeding rare even the repops are rare. the toombstone is a special one and smaller than the regular one.the wiring goes from one light to the other and then into the tank by the brackets is the best info I have at this time. the sprocket is Huffman only to my knowledge, the upper one Stevo posted is the correct one. I concur you should restore this bike as correct as possible, even if it isn't as comfortable to ride. to my knowledge it shouldn't have the light in the rack. we'll need to wait on the photos to go much further, we need to pin a few specifics down. I have the catalog for 1937, it may even turn out to be a 1938. there is a thread on my site with photos of all the known streamliners for you to reference.

There you go. I knew it was only a matter of time before a someone with more knowledge on this particular model would chime in. Especially someone with a screen name of 37fleetwood.

First off I just wanna say you guys are SUPER cool for taking the time to respond to me so quickly!!! I honestly didn't expect to get detailed answers so soon!! So hat's off to...and again thank you so much!! I'm travelling for work and you guys got me excited....so I had my girlfriend go to my flat and take a picture of it with her phone and email it to me....so I could post it. Sorry the pic isn't the best but it's the best I can do being that I'm in Houston and the bike is back home in the Crescent city......still trying out how to post pics on here.....it's asking for a url...I just want to upload from my laptop :/

Ok figured it out!

Here are some other bike pics...so you guys can see what I look like:
photostream
photostream

I'll get y'all some better pics on Thursday or Friday of next week. Scott just checked out your page....and wow!! I love the safety streamliners!! The motorized one is ef'd up and cool all at the same time!! ...and the Pennsylvania stash????? WTF???? WOW!!!!

Here is a better photo of a Huffman chainring.

IMG_3173.gif

After looking at several of my photos of some (non Dayton badged) '35 & 36 Huffmans, Scott is right. The early Huffmans were screws, not rivets. I just never noticed. I'm glad that Scott said something about it. I learn something new every day.

Although . . . I just dismantled a '35 Speedwell that had a riveted headbadge. ?????

Back