When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Super Streamlines

-

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
this is reposted from my site:

I'll be working on this thread soon. I'll try to document the years and differences between all the varieties of Huffman Superstreamlines. please feel free to contribute, I need all the help I can get.

the Huffman Streamline bikes were made for three years, from mid 1936 through 1938.
there are at least five basic frames, several models use the same frame.
all Streamlines are very rare and should be kept as original as possible, or properly restored if necessary.
my estimates are that there are
around 10 -15 Safety-Streamlines
less than 5 Model 44K's Super-Streamlines
around 10 1937 Super Streamline Model 1s
around 5-10 1937 Model 2 Super Streamlines
at least 50 Firestone Fleetwood Supremes
only 2 or 3 1938 Super Streamlines

let me say from the outset that I'm not the expert on Safety Streamliners, so if you have good information please feel free to correct or add to what I can put here.

Pictured is the 1936 Safety-Streamline Model D-44E
Never Before A Bicycle Like This!
The Huffman Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of Dayton bicycles, announces the Safety-Streamline, an absolutely new model, featuring complete, modern streamlining throughout, and new, advanced structural design and safety equipment.
The Safety-Streamline is a de luxe model, available in both men's and ladies models, and is offered in addition to the standard Dayton line. it's frame introduces new double-rear fork construction, and direct bracing of the head, adding greater strength and stability. in addition, stronger joints are accomplished through use of airplane type welds.
Clean, modern appearance is enhanced by the elimination of the usual hung-on gadgets, through a built-in hornlight fitted snugly against the head, a steel-enclosed battery located beside the sprocket, countersunk electric tail light, horn button in end of handle grip, elimination of ordinary guard braces, special streamlined saddle, and wiring enclosed within the frame.
A safety feature of particular interest is the single switch operation of both the tail light and headlight. When one is on, both are on. For greater convenience, the stand attachment is entirely free of the rear axle. The new Dayton Safety-Streamline actually weighs less than an ordinary electrically-equipped motor bike
iggtba-1.jpg

By October, it seems the Safety is gone and the New D-44 Super-Streamline is in.

Pictured are the 1936 Super-Streamline Models D-44K and the Model D-44.
The Huffman Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of Dayton bicycles, announces the new Dayton Super-Streamline, in four handsome models - the D-44K and D-44 men's models, and the D-45K and D-45 Ladies' models.
All of these new Daytons feature advanced, modern streamlining in frame design and accessories. Dayton's new double rear fork and truss, front truss forks, and braced handlebars. The D-44K and D-45K are equipped with electric horn light, tail light and battery case, while the D-44 and D-45 come without electrical equipment.
Jobbers and dealers who have seen these new bicycles say they are especially fine Christmas sellers and welcome the good margin of profit provided.
The new Super-Streamlines are attractively priced. Horace M. Huffman, president of the Huffman Manufacturing Company, states that these new models are now being delivered, and that deliveries on all Dayton models are being made promptly.
s3hmp0-1.jpg

In March of 1937 Huffman announces the New Streamline bicycles

Pictured are pages from the 1937 National Catalog of Model N-1T and Models N-2E and N-3E.
Three new types of bicycles have just been announced by the Huffman Manufacturing Co., Dayton Ohio. these are the well-known Dayton and National lines, and the Huffman line, which is available under the following name-plates: La France, Dixie Flyer, Davis Flyer, Snell, and Air Flyte. These new bicycles are offered in a wide range of models, from Superstreamlines to Racers, covering a complete price range, according to statements from the factory. It is further reported that these new 1937 Huffman lines feature distinctive, beautiful streamlining in frames, equipment and accessories, incorporate advanced engineering, and offer a wide range of color combinations, and complete selection of equipment and accessories.
Among the attractive new features announced for the new Huffman lines are a smart, beautiful Zephyr-Tank, with built-in horn and horn-button, and new distinctive streamlined chain guard. Even the Handlebar stem, pedals, and fork-crown have been styled and streamlined.
All three lines are now in production, and the Huffman Manufacturing Company states that enlarged production facilities assure prompt deliveries throughout the year. Literature and prices are now ready, and may be obtained by writing the factory.

4pui9v-1.jpg

11j3l1v-1.jpg

the 1937 Spring Summer Firestone Catalog premiers the new Firestone Fleetwood Supreme, which is a slightly altered 1937 Model 1T with straight rear truss and slightly different accessories and paint scheme.

Pictured are pages from the 1937 Spring Summer Firestone catalog, and 1937/1938 Fall Winter Firestone catalog.
pg12_zps988c28e7-1.jpg

pg18_zps6f1608b4-1.jpg

1938 was the last year for the Super Streamline bicycles, they would be replaced by the Twin-Flex Cushioned bikes which as it turns out were not very good for the most part.

Pictured is a page from the 1938 Huffman Catalog of Model 1T
a Model 1 is mentioned without tank lights and rack, there is no mention in the Huffman catalog of a ladies model. the main difference from 1937 is the curved down tube and some trim differences.
Huffman_4_zps8e35dfbc-1.jpg

148d5hu-1.jpg

the 1938 Spring Summer Firestone Catalog heralds the end of the Firestone Fleetwood Supreme, which is a represented as a 1937 Model 1T with curved truss, straight down tube, and the same basic accessories and paint scheme as used in 1937.

Pictured is the page from the 1938 Spring Summer Firestone catalog.
I don't have the 1938/1939 Fall Winter catalog, but I do have a Feb 1939 dealer catalog that doesn't have a Super Streamline shown.
15z2z2a-1.jpg

In this post I hope to discuss the frames for all Streamline Bicycles.

The first frame is the 1936 Safety Streamline/1936 Super-Streamline. These frames are of the tankless variety. They can be identified by at least 3 definite and distinctive features. First, the distance between the seat tube and the rear fender mount was lengthened to make room for the battery box which mounts directly behind and above the crank hanger. The second feature is at the rear of the bike. On this frame the flattened tube which extends from the rear drop out rearward goes all the way around the back of the bike and attaches to the drop out on the other side. On the later bikes these extensions only extend to the rear fender and have a flat strap which attaches to the fender. the third feature is that these frames are drilled for the electrical system wiring. Many if not all 1936 Super-Streamline bicycles use the same frame as the Safety-Streamline. It seems they are drilled for the electrical system and seem to retain the stretched frame. (if you can confirm or refute this, please contact me so I can correct it)

The second frame is the 1937 Model 1. This frame is the first of the "tank" type frames. These frames are identified by a combination of 4 features. First is the tank area, in 1937 Huffman introduced their "Zephyr" tank. The second feature is the straight down tube. Third is the curved rear "truss". and finally as discussed above, the rear extensions go only to the rear fender and use a strap to attach the fender.

The third frame is the 1937 Model 2 Super-Streamline. This frame is a tankless frame, and is in fact the same as the 1937 Model 1 with the exception of the provision for a tank.

The fourth frame is the 1937 Firestone Fleetwood Supreme. this frame is a tank type frame. It is the same as the 1937 Model 1 above with the exception of it's distinctive straight rear truss.

The fifth and final frame style is the 1938 Super-Streamline Model 1. This frame is identical to the 1937 Model 1 with the exception of the curved down tube.

As a footnote it has been discussed that there was a "loop-frame" Streamliner but only one very controversial frame is known and the opinion of a very controversial collector as to it's originality. This in no way is to imply that the owner or anyone is trying to pull off anything as the frame was obviously altered very long ago. I am firmly in the camp that believes that this bike started as a very regular Super-Streamline and was altered by someone long ago. (if anyone is interested in discussing this bike, we can start a new post)

Last edited:
Good stuff Scott. Maybe you would consider bringing the census stuff over as well. Heck if you bring enough stuff over maybe Scott M. will start an "All Things Huffman" section on the forum! v/r Shawn

Very cool!

Thanks Scott for posting this about Dayton's. I'm enjoying it.

Derek

Well, I guess this thread is about as good a time as any, to confess my sins.

I am a bona fide, dyed in the wool, Schwinn collector, who just bought a Huffy!

I know, I can hear your screams through the computer. But, thanks to Scott aka 37 Fleetwood. I have been converted.

On one of our rides last Summer, he let me ride his 37 Fleetwood Supreme.( Hence the name of his handle, in case any of you were wondering.)

And I must admit, that it was one of the most comfortable and stylishly built bikes that I have ever ridden.

The bike felt very solid, and handled quite well. Not the Huffy experience that I had when I was a kid.

Anyway, that got me thinking about wanting a Super Streamline someday.

Well, as rare and desireable as the other models are, I decided that I just really liked the looks of the Firestones best.

So, that is what I set out to buy.

I'm sure that most of you have seen the bike. It is the one that Tyler Stans over at luxlow.com brought back to life.

I don't like to use the term restored, because Tylers bikes are all Guccied out. far from a factory correct restoration, but gorgeous none the less.

As I looked around at the available bikes, I kept going back to that gleaming chrome and dripping wet clear coat, and I couldn't resist.

I figured that if you were going to Gucci out a bike, you couldn't pick a better model than a Firestone Fleetwood Supreme.

Don't you just love the sound of that?

Go ahead and say it. FIRESTONE FLEETWOOD SUPREME ! It just make you feel better, doesn't it?

So in closing, I would just like to say, Thanks, Scott!

Now I've got my work cut out for me, trying to find a putter stem and an aluminium torpedo light.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it Marty, it is beautiful! are you going to have it by the upcoming Coaster ride?
and to you Schwinn guys... 1 down and 10,000,000 to go!:rolleyes:

Back