When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman Super Streamlines

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
MLAA2011007_zps85885b88-1.jpg

A few years ago, I bought a piece of literature which I had never seen before and will probably never see again. being not a collector of paper myself I scanned it in so I would have the information it contained, and then sold it to another collector. with his permission I have been authorized to share a bit of it with you.
Thank you Scott McC.

in this rare piece you can clearly see that somewhere along the way, what we refer to as a Safety Streamline is clearly considered by Huffman as a Super Streamline.
I'm still looking for information as to just what if anything this means.

covertest-1.jpg

While I'm at it, I would like to add these with a bit of explanation.
before now, there were only a very few people with the knowledge about the differences between Huffmans and Daytons. nearly everyone assumed they would be the same, or very nearly the same. while the frame set was the same almost everything else was different. paint, seats, reflectors, almost everything varied between the two lines.
I would also point out that in the model 2 images, the Dayton line shows the model 2E with a light and the Huffman shows model2 without. this is not to be construed that Huffman didn't offer a model 2E with a light and that Dayton didn't offer a model 2 without. I would assume if you were a retailer and wanted Dixie Flyer badged Huffman Model 2E's they would have happily obliged.
Thanks again to Scott McC for providing the Huffman catalog images, the Dayton stuff comes from my own collection.

Here are the Dayton/National level catalog images.

37ModelnoN1T_zps805691c1-1.jpg
37ModelnoN2E_zps38bee31e-1.jpg

Here are the Huffman level catalog images.

37ModelnoH1T_zps2752667d-1.jpg
37ModelnoH2_zpsdbebb659-1.jpg

While I'm at it, I would like to add these with a bit of explanation.
before now, there were only a very few people with the knowledge about the differences between Huffmans and Daytons. nearly everyone assumed they would be the same, or very nearly the same. while the frame set was the same almost everything else was different. paint, seats, reflectors, almost everything varied between the two lines.
I would also point out that in the model 2 images, the Dayton line shows the model 2E with a light and the Huffman shows model2 without. this is not to be construed that Huffman didn't offer a model 2E with a light and that Dayton didn't offer a model 2 without. I would assume if you were a retailer and wanted Dixie Flyer badged Huffman Model 2E's they would have happily obliged.
Thanks again to Scott McC for providing the Huffman catalog images, the Dayton stuff comes from my own collection.

Here are the Dayton/National level catalog images.

Here are the Huffman level catalog images.

Wow - so the Huffman bikes were clearly 'lower' class bikes with less plating but I really like the unusual paint scheme on them with the split darts.

Going back to the ad before from Scott McC - the 'Safety' which is called an Airflyte Super - is that little round thing on the front of the rear fender actually an Airflyte badge I wonder. Also - I have always wondered about the handlebars on those bikes. At first glance they look like large crescent shaped bars but on closer look they are really quite large and have a very flat profile. Scott - I think the beautiful orig and well known red one of those bikes is yours? I notice it has those exact bars on it. Correct me if I am wrong but they are in fact unusual and probably very hard to find handlebars? I have seen the same model of bike, also in orig condition, but which have more regular crescent shaped bars similar to the ones found on other brands.

These ads you keep posting are amazing - they are really great, thanks for sharing.

A few years ago, I bought a piece of literature which I had never seen before and will probably never see again. being not a collector of paper myself I scanned it in so I would have the information it contained, and then sold it to another collector. with his permission I have been authorized to share a bit of it with you.
Thank you Scott McC.

in this rare piece you can clearly see that somewhere along the way, what we refer to as a Safety Streamline is clearly considered by Huffman as a Super Streamline.
I'm still looking for information as to just what if anything this means.

covertest-1.jpg

Also the saddle on this Airflyte Super looks very thick and padded. Can't even see the rails - or are they solid sliding rails which blend in with the cover in this particular image. ....I wonder.

first question, no, that's not the Airflyte badge, it's rectangular.

1936AiflyteSafetyStreamliner4_zpse7e1568-1.jpg

what it looks like to me is the Huffman Bowtie decal which should be located below the badge.

ss18_zpsf8c6e10f-1.jpg

on to the handlebars. the ones on Scott's Carmine red mens bike do look aluminum, but I would hesitate to say definitively that others may have been used, there just aren't enough original examples out there.

Thefind01_zps531b0ba5-1.jpg

...and this bike is actually Scott McCaskey's.

the seat in the ad drawing is a bit deceiving, it is actually a skirted seat. the undercarriage is wire.

ss16_zpsfe2063a7-1.jpg
ss17_zps1a99363a-1.jpg
ss12_zps2f7ecd4a-1.jpg

After careful examination, that same decal was on the seat tube on Trudy's SS.

Back