When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffy? Monark? 1961?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In looking at the chain guard, it looks like the person who painted it, sprayed primer on at least that, and it looks like they may have sanded a bit because I cannot find any white above the blue. So, if that holds true for the rest, it may be gone. I will try for a bit longer . . .

Like I said, your best bet is the headbadge and the tank.

Like I said, your best bet is the headbadge and the tank.

Yes, I know. I do not hold out much hope for the tank because of the sanding/primer thing. The head badge I have always had plans to remove the red paint from but have not gotten to it yet. Even if we never figure out what it was, we’ll make it into something my wife will like. It is her bike, so I’ll make it into whatever she wants it to be.

It rides well, well, until I broke the old chain!

Solved!

100_1223.jpg

Now I need a new head badge!

LOL! In all the Huffy/Monark debates, I forgot about the other brands Huffy supplied! Western Flyer was Western Auto's brand of bicycles. If your wife wants the bike to look like it did when it was new, then have no fear. All you need to do is track down a 1961 Western Auto Catalog. You just missed a 1961 Christmas edition, but it sold for $10.50. The 50s and 60s catalogs are very common, you should have no problem tracking one down. Frequently check eBay and another will turn up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Wester...062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56464150a6

That headbadge is not too hard to find I don't think...maybe its the decals that are common? Either way, here is a link to a set of 1960 paper work on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Fly...977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6b39c3e1

It is funny even more because my bike is an old Murray built Western Flyer, so now they are related (in a way). Her plans for the bike are not to put is as it was but it will have a hint of Flyer and the head badge if I can find one.

Well now...if I may offer a paint suggestion. How about the whole bike white with black pinstripes on the fenders. Red accents/darts on the fork and on the tubes of the frame. Perhaps a custom design on the rack, gaurd, and tank?

Ha, proof you have never met my wife! Her vision is a little less classic, a black frame, everything else with paint a very dark red or purple, a few silver pin stripe accents . . . something like that. She is still working it out but it will be “stealthy” she tells me.

Does that mean she’ll sneak up on other bikes?

It will become her short range pizza getter, well a ride with me to go get a pizza bike. I’ll have to carry the pizza back!

Here is is all done and rolling like a new bike!

Old thread brought back to live! Got it done yesterday! As it was a mess, we did not go back to original but made it what she wanted. The light is a Delta Hawk shell that has an LED light in it now.

1962 WF 01.jpg
1962 WF 04.jpg
1962 WF 11.jpg
1962 WF 17.jpg
1962 WF 19.jpg

Back