When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

huffy silver jet - looking for info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
want to keep my 2 tone seat - just want to add the cool bar to it, LOL

think the tires are original ? looking for similar tread design if so....... also is there a certian name for this style of wheel rim ?

Last edited:
Picture268_zps7bc509bf-1.jpg

Picture267_zps532d7dcd-1.jpg

Picture264_zpsd80cdc5fjpgt1382471365-1.jpg

also - when i got to do the deep cleaning - and i disassemble the front forks , can anyone help me with a how to on disassembling the miltiple plates that make up this style of fork ? is there a certian name for this type of fork ? i have 2 of these types to do on 2 bikes ( other is a camaro)

Here come the Judge! Here come the Judge!

Ooohh here come the Judge!

I was looking at the bike and was considering buying it for parts but I knew better. If I bought that I would get attched to it and fix it up just as you would have. Lets give this a quick runs down:

You have a 1966 Huffy Silver Jet. I knew this without looking at the serial number. 1964-1967 Silver Jets look identical except for a few minor changes in trim. 1964-1965 had all-white, bucket-style, pleated seats with chrome crash rails. They were just like yours, only white with a crash rail and the under carriage was anodized silver. In 1966, Huffy deleted the crashrail and changed the seat to two-tone red and white and painted the undercarriage red. Grips changed too. 1964 Silver Jets had a set of standard white grips, then 1965 had white Huffy brand grips with the "H" embossed in the rubber. 1966-1967 had transparent red grips in the same shape as '65 models. There's a difference in mechanical parts too, though they are interchangeable. The cranks on '65 and earlier modals had a little more style, more curves and they fit more flush with the chain ring. In 1966, Huffy outsourced their cranks and started getting standard WALD cranks which didn't fit as well and the chainring-side bearing cup was a press fit rather than being threaded on. 1966-1967 Silver Jets with higher mileage will show it; the hole where the chain ring aligns with the crank will be worn out-of-round.

Finding a nice, complete tank to match the condition of your bike will be your bitch for sure. This was the reason that, if I got the bike, it would have been parted out. You can probabaly find the tank, switch plate, and controls but the headlight will be gone. I gaurantee it. But thats not the least fo your worries; that tail light will be worse. If your tail light battery tray is rusted through you can find one but you will pay dearly. The rear battery trays on these bikes are the exact same Delta lights found in Sears Spaceliners so you will have far mroe people trying to find that part. The lense will be impossible to find, I paid $77 for one on ebay...almost two years ago! If the chrome half is intact, KEEP IT! Go look at some old car swap meets or very old junkyards and look for a small vintage car, truck, or even trailer lense and fab it.

As for your fender ornament...yes I was reproducing those red fins (they are a seperate piece, I can tell you how to remove it if you want). I only made about 5-7 of them and jd56 has my prototype. they were initally made for my own personal use but if I were to reproduce these for a market I would have to somehow obtain permission from PacificCycle (or whatever chinese company owns Huffy now) otherwise it could be copyright infringment. I'll have to look into it more though, it may not be as mine aren't exactly like the originals.

thanks so much for your response - i love this bike .... the tank dosent have to be perfect , or 100% complete , i have paint skills and can alter or slightly change parts to fit - modeling skills and autobody body skills i have - but i need to find a base tank to work off of thats as complete as i can get - then need good clear pics of complete, nice examples of the type to work off of ......i am also looking for the propper decals to put back onto the bike - all these are worn clean off .....my rear fender is in dire need of replacement or rechrome at the bottom half due to what i suspect is contact with some kind of acid that ruined the chrome finish on there ...... so if this were your bike you wouldnt add that rail to this seat then ? ...... i have no plans to part with this bike , ive simply fallen for it , it aint gotta be 100% acurate , but i do want to get her as close as i can ..... do you have any idea if the tires that are on it now are original ? see above pics - front ones kinda rough shape- any value in keeping them ? ..... as far as the front fender jet - id love to get a new fin , and repair the broken off nose section , if you do decide to make another fin - contact me please...also do you by chance happen to know the paint color , or paint code to this color of red used on these ???

** ps i see your in ohio as well , i use to be a judge at the trans am nationals in your area every year , i owned a knight rider conversion car back then - and we did a yearly cruise in in tipp city - small world ..... 8)

Last edited:
- and to answer an email i got - in the first picture in this thread - the other , kinda-blue bike is a 1940's shelby flying cloud , ladies frame in 24 inch variety, got her on craigslist , last owner pulled her out of a barn in grove city, most likely next on the list of things to re-do ,
Picture197_zpse8158f1c-1.jpg

Picture201_zpsa3551157-1.jpg

after this ones done , and then i want to tackle that huffy camaro , it is a mens frame , in ok structural shape, but has been the victim of a bad repaint and strip down job , it is missing tank, lights and such ........

Picture151_zps8ee04ced-1.jpg

Last edited:
classicfan1 is the guru...
And I had no idea about the seat and grips and chainring uses for each year. Or just wasn't paying attention to some of your posts about these jets.
some great info Stephen...thanks.
I'm always learning and hope I can retain it all.
Love the Cabe and all the information I gain here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
id love to see all the silver jets out there .....ordered some toys for this silver jet today - like a better , park c9 repair stand today , along with new tires, tubes, rim strips, bottom bracket bearing kit, and headtube bearing sets , along with several tubes of park grease.... i am told this bendix rear hub is 2 speed ? is it user servicable ? or should i have a pro re-pack and re-do it ?? ......

Last edited:
That is not a 2-speed. It is a single-speed coaster brake hub form Bendix. IT's the msot common one. 2-speeds aren't even available on these bikes as an option. Matter of fact, I don't Huffman ever offer them on any middleweigths in any of their divisions (Huffy, Monark, or Dayton).

It is the msot common hub I see and is very easy to rebuild. Even a caveman can do it.

yea when the guy at local shop said she was a 2 speed i was kinda like , really? ok sure ............. but ya never know , so figured id ask ..... LOL

im kinda new to bicycle mechanix , but im learning fast ......been learning alot from youtube vids , and bought a bicycle dvd repair course

Back