When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humber “Bermuda” Model Survivor

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
I have owned quite a few English bikes over the years but generally nowadays they don’t garner a close study on my part.

This Humber “Bermuda” caught my attention though.

Sloping top tube, Perry coaster brake, Humber pedals, original Brooks (with a new production model too!) saddle and even the tattered template for the once-fully enclosed leather gear case!

Any guesses about the serialized/ numbered head tube?

Likely not a keeper but I had to take it home and put it back together again.

2E851E36-17EC-4C9C-8820-2349CB9D2E14.jpeg

165B4214-151F-40EF-BD71-3EE120C4D89E.jpeg

25006599-BFE0-4D78-B36C-A63EED5BB228.jpeg

E9A08BA1-3177-46D8-BDCF-00094B94EFEE.jpeg

91D927EB-B01B-410E-837C-06BBEB424340.jpeg

60CC55A6-E3E4-4E9E-9428-4E6E519845F0.jpeg

88154DA7-8853-497F-B29B-1DBF43042B4F.jpeg

157EA744-3EFF-49DB-B6FE-251058AD9656.jpeg

90C5D59F-D28D-45A2-BB23-E65B43BE7DEE.jpeg

9C1CA44C-87D1-4FDB-8C98-ED85183AD864.jpeg

This is a pretty interesting entry discussing Bermuda model Humbers.
Even more interesting is the pictured Humber 'Bermuda' has the same style numbering on the headtube!
Mine is numbered 3033, this one pictured in the link below is numbered 3135.

Meant to include this shot, the owner had this bike in a box after giving up on re-assembly. He was so frustrated he just wanted it out of his hair for a whopping $100. He wanted to pay me a percentage to help him sell it…I just gave him a crisp hundo and he was happy.
Story was he had been gifted the bike from
a deceased father-in-law and his only investment in the bike aside from busted knuckles was this spanking new Brooks heavy service saddle.

F31D6E2A-8FB5-40E8-A0CD-F8D63EB8239D.jpeg

It may well be an "export model" sent to the islands. The British makers were aware of a global market for their bicycles and adapted models for various markets. You see some unique bicycle models that turn up in the Bahamas, Curacao, Virgin Islands, etc. There was a market for tourists to ride bikes in these places. Humber's catalogs show a sloping framed "light roadster", though its peripheral equipment is different from the Bermuda.

I once owned a pair of Hercules bikes with a front rod brake and rear coaster brake because in 1946, Americans loved coaster brakes and that pair of bikes was headed for the US. The Perry coaster brake arm, on the inside surface may have a date code for dating this bike. The bike has a Dynohub apparently but no lamp set. Either the Dynohub is not original or someone pilfered the lamps. That should not be hard to remedy though. It has an interesting front brake system.

I'd guess the front painted number to be a local registration or article number. The bike may have been part of a fleet rented to tourists.

Last edited:
It may well be an "export model" sent to the islands. The British makers were aware of a global market for their bicycles and adapted models for various markets. You see some unique bicycle models that turn up in the Bahamas, Curacao, Virgin Islands, etc. There was a market for tourists to ride bikes in these places. I once owned a pair of Hercules bikes with a front rod brake and rear coaster brake because in 1946, Americans loved coaster brakes and that pair of bikes was headed for the US. The Perry coaster brake arm, on the inside surface may have a date code for dating this bike. The bike has a Dynohub apparently but no lamp set. Either the Dynohub is not original or someone pilfered the lamps. That should not be hard to remedy though. It has an interesting front brake system.

I'd guess the front painted number to be a local registration or article number. The bike may have been part of a fleet rented to tourists.
Export seems likely given it is here, I wonder if someone liked it enough to bring it home from a tropical vacation?

I wonder if an association can be established between these two Humber Bermuda models pictured, I'm certainly curious and have sent a note to the poster of that blog.

The 1930s "light roadster" style Humber with sloping frame. It looks to me as if this model was an export model that started with the light roadster core and added some different peripherals suited to the local market. The British version offered one option of an Eadie coaster brake and rod brake front.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
The 1930s "light roadster" style Humber with sloping frame. It looks to me as if this model was an export model that started with the light roadster core and added some different peripherals suited to the local market. The British version offered one option of an Eadie coaster brake and rod brake front.

View attachment 1571825
Thank you sir! Always euphoric when you see the right catalog cut.

-----

thanks so much for sharing this new find with the forum

the quad blade fork and dancing men chainwheel are probably enough by themselves to make most enthusiasts say "YES!" 😉

-----

Back