When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hungarian Schwinn S2?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The article you linked doesn't mention the Hungarian factory, and that's the first I've heard of the Scott Group having any dealings with the Hungarian factory after 1990, when they first bought Schwinn. But if they still had the tooling for the rims, it would make sense. Have you got a link for that?
Yeah, no, it was a error, my cross communication with Bolder and Hungary so, edited it out. Should have done it, minutes after posting early this morning, Opps sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah, no, it was a error, my cross communication with Bolder and Hungary so, edited it out. Should have done it, minutes after posting early this morning, Opps sorry.
No problem. I googled Ted Kirkbride after I read that article and he evidently had a lot to do with Masi bicycles and is still active out in California. He might be the one to ask about the Centennial Phantom if you had his contact information (which I don't, unfortunately).

Here is @hm. 's 1993 Hungarian Cruiser and it appears to be wearing aluminum rims, not S-2's. Most likely one of the last built for Schwinn Chicago.

1617948786796.png

And here is a thread discussing a couple pieces also made in Hungary where all the details on hm's are shown.

Reactions: hm.
I think Hungarian rims had single knurling. The OP's has double so not likely Hungarian. I have a girl's "cruiser" though not sure of the name on the guard. It was purchased new in '91 or '92 and has Hungarian S2's. I purchased and used on builds 4 loose Hungarian S2 rims from a Schwinn dealer and have had no problems with them. Gary

I think Hungarian rims had single knurling. The OP's has double so not likely Hungarian. I have a girl's "cruiser" though not sure of the name on the guard. It was purchased new in '91 or '92 and has Hungarian S2's. I purchased and used on builds 4 loose Hungarian S2 rims from a Schwinn dealer and have had no problems with them. Gary

I sure wouldn't call the center knurling on this the double row style. It's in the center and divided by the odd bump.
1618014549194.png

Old style double knurling.

1618014645373.png

Schwinn went to the Giant factory in 85 for the Cruiser bikes, then a few years in Hungary late 80's and early 90's, then back to Taiwan after that.

From numerous examples that I've seen, I believe Schwinn imported the 89-90's Hungarian Cruisers along with the Taiwan made pieces. The Hungary factory couldn't produce enough product so the same Cruisers were imported from both during the same time period.

What ups .. I have question for You experts out there I have a set of wheels that look just like S-2 with Double knurl New departure hub in the rear and Schwinn Hub in the front but this whele are not stamped at all they don’t say S-2 or tubular schwinn they came out of a1952 B-6 any thoughts ? Thank you

What ups .. I have question for You experts out there I have a set of wheels that look just like S-2 with Double knurl New departure hub in the rear and Schwinn Hub in the front but this whele are not stamped at all they don’t say S-2 or tubular schwinn they came out of a1952 B-6 any thoughts ? Thank you
You have what sounds like late 70s, early 80s S-2. Any pics?

Back