When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hyslop motorbike, 1922

-

ccmerz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This 28" motorbike is the only tank bike ever produced by a Canadian company. There are no known examples. I want to create this model using existing parts as closely as possible. It appears parts were sourced from US companies. Westfield? Dayton? I do have an early Elgin motorbike frame/fork as well as all other parts needed relevant for the build, except the chain ring/crank assembly and of course, no cigar tank, which I can fab. Finding the chain ring may be a problem. Who made this? There were many close variations of it made. Thoughts?
hyslopbicycles2.jpg

Found the 1922 Hyslop catalog on google.

I wish the best good fortune to you in your
quest to replicate this machine.

Personally I cannot identify anything about
this machine ... the illustration is waaay small,
and the only image offered is the classic side-
shot.

I can gather no information about the o.d. of the
undertank bar ... details regarding that truss-fork ...
thicknesses of fender-bridges .. and the manner
in which the tubes are connected to one-another.

Can't even get a decent ''read'' on those fenders ...
are they the early, ''flat'' style ? ... Or maybe they
have the half-inch ''dropside'' feature.

The chainring is a Miami product ... available in
26-T .. 28-T .. and 30-T.

The most difficult to find is the 26-T version.

......... patric cafaro

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431156955_076388.jpg

ETHERNET IMAGE.

Have been collecting exotic badges, unusual forks and
seldom-seen chainrings ... since 1982.

The ONLY EXAMPLE of the above chainring that I had
in my collection, was spoken for by a fellow collector,
maybe five days ago.

The fenders are the 1" drop side type. That is certainly the correct ring. As far as all other related parts are concerned, I will assemble these as close to what the catalogue description is. That's all I can do. It's going to be a representation, nothing more, but the correct chain ring will be important! The project will not more forward without it. As for the frame/truss, I am good with the Elgin of the period as a platform.

Very cool bike! Good luck. Have you tried running ads in the Waterloo county area? The Mennonite folk from Pennsylvania that moved up there in the 19th century kept everything. Years ago I picked some great material from that region...

I live in the Waterloo county Area and have never seen a Hyslop bike come up for sale . But that does not mean there are non out there ..

Back