When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m in favor of rat bikes!

-
Rusty Rat
DSCN3441.JPG

Thought it was time to post a thread IN FAVOR of the rat/Rockabilly Bikes out there..you know I’m a fan..and I know you are too!! So let’s fill this thread up with them..I’ll Start:
View attachment 947140

View attachment 947141

View attachment 947139

View attachment 947137

View attachment 947138
View attachment 947142

View attachment 947143
Don't take this the wrong way, but your bikes are to clean to be RAT bikes. They need to be in rough as is barn find condition. I have several rat or as i call them "klunker bikes". Thanks. Razin.
a couple more I built a few years ago..
View attachment 947879
View attachment 947880
That's more like a rat bike!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but your bikes are to clean to be RAT bikes. They need to be in rough as is barn find condition. I have several rat or as i call them "klunker bikes". Thanks. Razin.
No offense taken bud..everyone is untitled to their own opinion..speaking of which..I’ve had many, many people tell me that “Tuco” my take on a “rat rod bike” is the very epitome of it..his image has been used countless times to define what a “rat rod bike” should look like..he was also the first non-motorized cycle to be featured in Old Skool Rodz magazine..a leading publication of the rat rod culture so their are some out there who believe the bike I built is; in their opinion, the definition of a “rat rod bike”..
83D71815-D038-4C47-AFF9-D4C366D28259.jpeg

2C19A2B2-0A46-4EDA-B52D-85FF7D0011CC.jpeg

That's more like a rat bike!!

As @Smoopy's said, you're entitled to your opinion. Depends on your exposure, understanding, and experience of what a 'rat rod' is. Same is true for the term 'Klunker'. In bicycle terms, 'klunkers' were/are the first mountain bikes. Usually prewar or early postwar frames stripped down and then equipped with drum brakes, stronger forks, knobby tires, and race bars. In car terms, a 'klunker' is a beater car that may not look great, or run great, but gets the job done. Some bikes may just qualify as cool customs, but if it's not a polished custom or original 'hot rod', I think the general consensus is a custom with patina (of varying degrees) would be a 'rat rod'. I understand your definition of a rat, and agree that it is partially true, but I've also seen true 'rat rod' cars that were super clean, just fenderless, hoodless, and painted matte black/brown.

Damn straight I like Rat Rods...got a few of em. These are Biggie Rat and Itchie Brother! The Flat Bars on the red Snyder built tie in with the flat rear tire, spun the seat post 180° giving it a longer lowered look. Not 100% on the front wheel, I may go to a 29"..we'll see once I get the Shock Ease dialed in a bit better. Have yet to wire the lights and I need a horn for my tank.

The Black framed Rollfast sits you up taller and has a massive wide seat I call "Barkalounger". This bike gets lots of looks and is a pleasure to ride. Not yet sure what I'm going to do with the mis-matched wheels, but I have a Sturmy Archer front brake and 3 speed screaming to be installed. Once I get a set of matched wheels I'll put a set of Fat Frank's to give it a more stout look! Not a fan of the Columbia front end as it blocks my Super Cool Rollfast Bearing badge so I'm swapping it out with a Monarch double spring springer...should look sic! I've yet to wire the lights yet on this one either! Oh well!
Itchie Brother
View attachment 963840
Biggie Rat
View attachment 963848

Enjoy,
Bart
That's part of a true KLUNKER bike is the mismatched wheels. All my rats have that special feature. I built up a old middle weight raleigh three years ago and painted the front wheel black rattle can flat with a Blackwall rib tire and the back wheel is gloss rattle can red with an old white wall 26" slick. Looks pretty trick if i do say so myself. Enjoy. Razin. Itchie Scratchie, Brother!!

Back