Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Last edited:

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest , United States
do you think the camel back has a function or just a cool look??
Both ! It helps a Shorter Rider ride a bike with 27 " Wheels , And Looks Way Cool . It's only 17 " Fromm BB to Top of seat post. The Schwinn Catalogue lists this bike ,................but I cant find any pictures of the Varsity Camel Back Style. I think originally they were " Speedster " Frames. Not sure, still learning here. I rode a Chestnut Single speed cruiser for MANY MANY Years . I have always liked that color. That's a nice Continental..................specially with those Awesome Tires ! Looks FAST !!! :grinning:

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
I looked at my source and it said this is a January 1960???
S # is AO22942 ?? I don’t trust my source! Help please!

View attachment 1060664

View attachment 1060665

View attachment 1060666
So anyway Bill your first clue on the Traveler is the Japan mark and it is a lugged frame. According to catalogs The lugged japan Traveler it was introduced in 1975. Albet it's reported; japan frames for Schwinn began around 1970, their japan traveler wasn't until 75.

Japan frames are a little tricky as month and year may be the 1st two numbers or letters yet could be within the 1st three too. Perhaps the early Japan frames are within the 1st 3 IDK. But in your case it's the 1st two;

"A0". A = January and 0 = 1980. (I. E. B is Feb, C = March. and following the letter; 1 is 1981, 2 =1982, etc.)

In the future use this site for dating em B/C the auto site has a poor or incomplete and unreliable, (1,ooo's of people screw up, due to its nonsense) algorism that's screwy. (even multiple 40's through 70's frames too!).: http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Last edited:

Bill in Bama

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 19, 2019
NW Alabama
So anyway Bill your first clue on the Traveler is the Japan mark and it is a lugged frame. According to catalogs The lugged japan Traveler it was introduced in 1975. Albet it's reported; japan frames for Schwinn began around 1970, their japan traveler wasn't until 75.

Japan frames are a little tricky as month and year may be the 1st two numbers or letters yet could be within the 1st three too. Perhaps the early Japan frames are within the 1st 3 IDK. But in your case it's the 1st two;

"A0". A = January and 0 = 1980. (I. E. B is Feb, C = March. and following the letter; 1 is 1981, 2 =1982, etc.)

In the future use this site for dating em B/C the auto site has a poor or incomplete and unreliable, (1,ooo's of people screw up, due to its nonsense) algorism that's screwy. (even multiple 40's through 70's frames too!).: http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx
Thanks dude I totally missed the japan on the head badge!!! Also the style of head badge! The lamp looks 60’s to me but it could be an add on! Thanks to all!

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Something called angel fire!
No, the anglefire site is a very good too. However, subject to comprehension [Grin] Read their notice or disclaimer: ""THIS CHART APPLIES TO CHICAGO SCHWINN`S ONLY.".http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html/

No worries Bill, everybody gotta get a learning, even the Know it all's bragging on them selves, albeit put up dumb A fights and personal attacks even fer years, get learned [wink] at The CABE too..

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture