When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am schwinn

-
My favorite pro of that dog town era was jay adams! I think i heard he did some prison time and died here not too long ago!? He was so smooth,,,not the most rad but smooth like clapton!

Your comment on Jay Adams is 100% Correct in my Opinion as well . I Competed ( Skateboarding ) against Jay , and the rest of the Gang . That Boy had some REAL Talent. Wicked Smooth ............So Flowing and at Ease , Till the Routy side came out ! I Surfed with Jay a Few times at a Break in El Segundo . Just ran into him by chance there ., But we "Pushed " each other to try to do " The Latest Take-Off ".............or "Most Rad CutBack"............You get the Picture. He was a VERY Talented Surfer Too . I saw MANY Top Skateboarders and Surfers of that time period ( In Our Area ) And Jay Was a Standout . He Always was Kind to me . Yes he did prison time...................but , to tell you what I think about that ............................It probably kept him alive longer than he would have been . He Didn't Make it very long after his ( Prison ) time was done. He Died in Mexico . Was on a Surfing trip from what I remember. R.I.P. Jay This photo of me was taken just a few miles south of El Segundo .................Around the Same Timeframe . This is in Redondo Beach , At The Breakwall . Thanks for bringing back more memories . Ride Safe ! :cool:

Surf Photo Redondo Beach October 1980 008.JPG

Thanks Ed! Probably why I could never hit on a make! I started to think the diff between corvette and jaguar was just add ons to a standard frame! The same way the automotive industry. From what im picking up is thats im right!? If i have,,, lets say a 1957 frame i can build any 57 "what have you",,, provided its in the proper weight class??? Is that correct?? Heavyweight,, midweight,,, or what's left!? Hw's being phantom, or other! And mw jag, corvette, is hornet an mid weight???
My hornet is a ballooner, But i have seen some middle weights also. Razin.

Your comment on Jay Adams is 100% Correct in my Opinion as well . I Competed ( Skateboarding ) against Jay , and the rest of the Gang . That Boy had some REAL Talent. Wicked Smooth ............So Flowing and at Ease , Till the Routy side came out ! I Surfed with Jay a Few times at a Break in El Segundo . Just ran into him by chance there ., But we "Pushed " each other to try to do " The Latest Take-Off ".............or "Most Rad CutBack"............You get the Picture. He was a VERY Talented Surfer Too . I saw MANY Top Skateboarders and Surfers of that time period ( In Our Area ) And Jay Was a Standout . He Always was Kind to me . Yes he did prison time...................but , to tell you what I think about that ............................It probably kept him alive longer than he would have been . He Didn't Make it very long after his ( Prison ) time was done. He Died in Mexico . Was on a Surfing trip from what I remember. R.I.P. Jay This photo of me was taken just a few miles south of El Segundo .................Around the Same Timeframe . This is in Redondo Beach , At The Breakwall . Thanks for bringing back more memories . Ride Safe ! :cool:

View attachment 1038872
Dude you have done some real living! I really love hearing from folks who where in it to win it! How do you keep that feeling going today! My life has become comfortably numb! Work and worry takes all but my bike time! I need a big adventure! Thank you!

View attachment 1038872
I think i may have some old skateboarder mags in a box somewhere?? I remember a skate shoppe. Not much of a business,,, pretty stark if memory serves,,,and upon the opening of said store 4 or 5 skaters were there. Gosh I don't remember who but they were selling skateboarder mag and you could get autographs from the skaters who were there for the opening and were featured in that issue. God thats gonna drive me crazy till i dig that box out!!! If i still have it? They did a bit of trick riding and had k.o.m.e radio station on site and a little bitty ramp the radio station had little stickers in the shape of a road sign! Don't remember the number,,, like 98.5 fm! Sound right??? I haven't been to ca since i left the navy and San Diego! 1986! 33 years ago wow! I think one of the fellows had the handle of "the pineapple " like tony the pineapple! Or some such thing! Im going to look for that box!

Did anyone get hooked on bikes for health and then get hooked on older bikes! And got bit by the vintage bug! I personally think cranking a 1962 heavy ass schwinn up and down and around town is the best way to pump the old ass thighs up! Better than some 18 speed what ever! What do you do in 7th speed or 14th speed! I like torsion bars and fat tire and a big ass hill! Personally!

Back