When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I broke a Chain on my 60' Jag :(

-

T1Callahan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Yesterday, I was trying to make a ride a bit more fun for my young son and attempted to Race my Son; My bike had other ideas and was not happy with that and the chain broke. I think I can just replace with a master link but Im not sure what I should buy: Im not sure of the size I need to get. I believe it is a 1" pitch, but I dont know how the width is measured. Also, How do they count links. Do you only count Outer links or is the inner link also counted?

I suspect that you have 1/8" (0.125", 3.18 mm) chain if your Schwinn Jaguar is a single speed or internal gear hub.

This resource may help:

1" pitch is what's known as 'skip tooth', 1/2" pitch is what most post 1955 coaster and geared hub bikes.

The skip tooth 1”-pitch chain was often 3/16” wide, fairly heavy duty, and can be ascertained by the different size links, long and short; (or the skipped teeth on the sprockets).
For a 1960’s bike 1/2” pitch by 1/8” width would have been fairly standard. One may find a heavier duty 3/16” width but that may be too wide. Multi speed deraileur bicycles and some BXM bikes may use a narrower 3/32” chain, but that may be too skinny.
One may count links either way, as long as consistency is maintained; it’s sometimes twice as easy to count half the links. Chain sellers may also specify the length in inches, or number of links. For a new chain the length (e.g., 56”), should be half the number of links (e.g., 112L); for an old used worn chain, the length may be longer.
When one arbitrary link breaks, one might also consider an entirely new chain.

Last edited:
Chains are cheap.I would get a complete new chain.Local bike shop can fix ya up if you are not sure.Bring them the bike and chain and they will pop on a new one if you dont want to play around.

Hey Superman....ease up on the Wheaties...

Screenshot_20200329-123514.png

Back